You Are the Doctor was the first story in the audio anthology, You Are the Doctor and Other Stories, which comprised the two hundred and seventh release in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by John Dorney and featured Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor and Sophie Aldred as Ace.
It took the form of a "choose-your-own-adventure" story.
YOU are the Doctor, a mysterious traveller in time and space. Will YOU succeed in foiling the ghastly plans of the horrible Porcians, the most inept invaders in all the cosmos? Or will you get yourself killed, over and over again?
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Chimbly - Kim Wall
- Keith / Guard - Jon Culshaw
- Katrice - Nadine Marshall
- The Resurrectionist / Clerk - Amrita Acharia
- Ace says that Chimbly's ship smells like "King Kong's gym locker".
- Ace was attempting to pilot the TARDIS to Australia.
- This story uses the conventions of a "choose-your-own-adventure" story, a device that has previously been used in earnest in the Decide Your Destiny and Make Your Own Adventure/Find Your Fate series. However, unlike with those books, this story makes the deviations based on the listener's choices a part of the narrative through the use of the Resurrectionist, meaning there are no real choices made by the listener, and no alternative sequences of events.
- John Dorney, the writer, originally planned on using a different villain for this story. However, this "obvious" villain, presumably the Ogrons, were already being used in one of Dorney's stories in a different range.
- The Doctor first met Chimbly during his sixth incarnation on Transmission. (AUDIO: The Fourth Wall)
- Chimbly refers to a pair of humans who sold them rotten food. (TV: Dragonfire) The Doctor would later determine that the two humans who escaped from Chimbly the previous week were Melanie Bush and Sabalom Glitz. (AUDIO: A Life of Crime)
- The Doctor is teaching Ace how to fly the TARDIS. She would later be in control of her own TARDIS. (AUDIO: Intervention Earth) The Tenth Doctor would later teach his companion Donna Noble how to control the TARDIS. (TV: The Sontaran Stratagem)
- The TARDIS console room is in the form adopted by the Doctor's seventh and eighth incarnations. (AUDIO: The Settling, TV: Doctor Who et al.)