The Castor, a vast starship, seemingly deserted, spinning slowly in the void of deep space. Martha and the Doctor explore the drifting tomb, and discover that they may not be alone after all... Who survived the disaster that overcame the rest of the crew? What continues to power the vessel? And why has a stretch of wooded countryside suddenly appeared in the middle of the craft? As the Doctor and Martha journey through the forest, they find a mysterious, fogbound village — a village traumatised by missing children and tales of its own destruction...
to be added
- Herot is a village.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Doctor mentions trying to believe "Six impossible things before breakfast" a reference to TV: The Five Doctors and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carrol.
- Martha reflects on blood-sucking monsters. (TV: Smith and Jones)
- The Doctor talks about time windows and makes a reference to Madame de Pompadour. (TV: The Girl in the Fireplace)
- Martha recalls encountering "rhino-headed storm troopers" (TV: Smith and Jones) and "witches on broomsticks". (TV: The Shakespeare Code)
- Martha mentions that the Doctor could have his arm chopped off and he'll grow a new one. (TV: The Christmas Invasion)
- This novel was released as an audiobook on 2 July 2007 by BBC Audio and read by Adjoa Andoh.
- This novel was released again as an audiobook by the RNIB and read by Tim Bruce. It was only available for the registered blind.