A Witch was a (usually female) practioner of magical arts, though not all magicians would have consider themselves witches. cultures used the term "wizard" to refer to a male witch (DW: The Dæmons) others used witch to refer to practioners of both sexes. Less advanced cultures had a certain fear of paranoia and would sometimes mistake psychic powers or advanced technology as witchcraft.
Significance in Human history
In the early 21st century, neopaganism gained in popularity. These included violent young gangs. One, the Witch Kids, spread across the United States. They rejected technology and knowledge and gloried in violence and superstition spread across the United States. (NA: Cat's Cradle: Warhead) Another called themselves the Ravens. (DWM: Ravens)
Across space, the Travelers of the 26th century, who had originated on Earth, honoured ancient gods and conducted rituals. The Travelers used puterspace as a way to experience mystic realities without drugs. (NA: Love and War)
- Martha Tyler knew the ancient traditions and posessed second sight because of the Fetch Priory's time fissure, therefore local reputation painted her as a witch. Locals deferred to her and called Granma, as an symbolic sign of respect. A genuine coven of malign witches, led by occultist Max Stael, also lived in the area and plotted to resurrect the Fendahl (DW: Image of the Fendahl)
- Martha Tyler actually worked as an agent for Faction Paradox, sent to keep an eye on matters. (source?)
- Sarah Jane Smith and K-9 encountered witches, worshippers of Hecate in 1981. (KAC: A Girl's Best Friend)
- In 1215, Turlough found himself locked up as a witch for supposedly conjuring up demons in the court of King John of England. (DW: The King's Demons)
- Though not precisely a witch, the Seer seemd to serve a similar cultural function. (DW: The Ribos Operation)
- The Seer, too, worked as an agent for Faction Paradox. (source?)
- The Sycorax leader regarded the Doctor as a practitioner of witchcraft. (DW: The Christmas Invasion)
- The Sycorax, not understanding their own stolen technology, such as blood control, might have regarded it as a form of witchcraft, though they used it themselves.
- The Carrionites were witch-like creatures, as they used voodoo and "spells" to kill their victims. They attempted to overthrow the Earth, but they were stopped by William Shakespeare. (DW: The Shakespeare Code)
- Evil witches from throughout the universe held a gathering on the planet Vargo that was led by the Grand Witch. The Doctor posed as a wizard to scare off most of the witches, then dealt with the remaining Grand Witch. (TVC: The Witches)
- These witches might be related to the Carrionites.