Far beyond the sterile safety of sanitised Nerva City, transmat scientist Roger Buchman has brought his family to an island surrounded by what they once called Loch Lomond, hoping to re-establish the colony he was forced to abandon many years before.
But something else resides in the Loch. A pestilent alien infestation that the Doctor, beaming in from Nerva City, remembers only too well from his time aboard the Beacon…
The Wirrn are back. And they’re hungry.
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Flip Jackson - Lisa Greenwood
- Roger Buchman - Tim Bentinck
- Veronica Buchman - Jenny Funnell
- Toasty Buchman - Tessa Nicholson
- Iron Buchman - Rikki Lawton
- Sheer Jawn - Dan Starkey
- Dare - Helen Goldwyn
- Paul Dessay - Glynn Sweet
- The human colonists on the Nerva Beacon returned to Earth and began the recolonisation in 16087.
- A ceremony called the "Olympic" is being held in Nerva City in 16127. However, the fragmentary historical records state that the Olympic is held every fourth of a year instead of once every four years, and it is no longer associated with sports.
- Wirrn mucous, the slime trail left by adult Wirrn, is used as a food source by the Nerva colonists. It is jokingly called "forage porridge."
- Inchfad is the northernmost colony in Scotland.
- There is a transmat substation on Ardlui, located to the south of Inchfad.
- Roger, Veronica and Toasty Buchman all independently mistake the Doctor and Flip for father and daughter.
- Flip mentions Madonna, Vanilla Ice, Foreigner and M.O.P.
- More than four hundred Wirrn were trapped under the surface of Loch Lomond when it froze over twenty years earlier.
- While Roger was playing with the transmat fifteen years earlier, he accidentally beamed his son Iron into a Wirrn under the surface of Loch Lomond, causing them to merge at the molecular level. He planted Iron's red jumper on the ice so that Veronica would find it.
- Nerva City was built on the former site of New York City.
- Sheer Jawn is Toasty's biological father.
- The Nerva Beacon is still in orbit of Earth.
- Tim Bentinck (Roger Buchman) previously played Giles Moreau and Jenkins in AUDIO: Destination: Nerva.
- Dan Starkey (Sheer Jawn) previously played numerous Sontarans in the revived series, namely Commander Skorr in TV: The Sontaran Strategem / The Poison Sky, Commander Jask in TV: The End of Time and Commander Strax in TV: A Good Man Goes to War.
- This story is unusual in that it does not feature the TARDIS. It was the first such story in the main range since AUDIO: LIVE 34 in September 2005.
- After AUDIO: Night Thoughts, this is the second Big Finish audio drama released in the main range to take place predominantly on a remote Scottish island.
- This audio drama was recorded on 21 and 22 June 2011.
- The Fourth Doctor previously encountered the Wirrn on the Nerva Beacon (TV: The Ark in Space) whereas the Eighth Doctor would later do so on Micawber's World (PROSE: Placebo Effect) and on Carista VII in the GalSec Territory (AUDIO: Wirrn Dawn).
- Roger Buchman initially believes that the Doctor and Flip are colonists from GalSec. (TV: The Sontaran Experiment, AUDIO: Wirrn Dawn, AUDIO: Project Infinity)
- Flip reminds the Doctor that she has already died once. (AUDIO: The Fourth Wall)
- The Doctor once again claims that humans are "indomitable." (TV: The Ark in Space, TV: Utopia)
- Flip mentions the Daleks (AUDIO: The Curse of Davros) and the Porcions (AUDIO: The Fourth Wall).
- Official Wirrn Isle page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Wirrn Isle at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide