When to Die was the fifth and final P.R.O.B.E. film produced by BBV Productions, released 15 April 2015 as a tribute to the late Caroline John, featuring Hazel Burrows taking over the role of Liz Shaw. Patricia Haggard also reappears, here portrayed by Georgette Ellison rather than Louise Jameson.
When Liz Shaw returns from a working holiday in Spain a new and deeply disturbing case awaits.
Corporal 7891 Alpha has outlived his usefulness or rather the government can no longer afford to fund the medication. And that can mean only one thing... termination!
At first glance a "government authorised execution" is a simple enough task for the Preternatural Research Bureau (PROBE) team.
But as events unfold, and the truth about Corporal 7891 Alpha is revealed, the case becomes far more complex.
Only Liz's wealth of experience, courage and determination can save the day — but not before her moral compass is knocked off course.
to be added
- Liz Shaw - Hazel Burrows
- Patricia Haggard - Georgette Ellison
- Corp Paul Reynish - Peter Ward
- Major Johnson - Neil Gwynne
- Josie Williams - Clare Groome
- Secretary Williams - Matthew Ellison
- Professor Bennett - Marcus Kinsella
- Charlie Reynish - Ken Hann
- Giles - William Baggs
- Soldiers - Ruben Sanchez, Gabriel Mykaj, Roy Hughes, Alistair Hardie, Lucy Dorey
- Security Guard - Danni Fletcher
- Receptionist - Kathrina Gwynne
- Official - Emma Vardy
- Bosnian Diplomat - Brian Stansbridge
to be added
- Liz mentions a Dr John Smith.
- The story was the first P.R.O.B.E. story in nearly twenty years, since Ghosts of Winterborne. It would be the last in the range until 2020, when the webcast Shadows of Doubt was released.
- It also was the first P.R.O.B.E. film to not feature Caroline John and the first to be initially released on the DVD format.
- It was BBV's first release since the home video Zygon: When Being You Just Isn't Enough in 2008.
- The DVD contains outtakes as a bonus feature.
- The story is available to stream on Amazon Instant Video in the US.
- Liz Shaw and Patricia Haggard are presented as a couple. This was only implicit in earlier releases.
- It was rumoured that this film was not going to feature Liz Shaw, but this turned out to be false as she was played by Hazel Burrows.
to be added