- You may be looking for the lullaby itself.
Venusian Lullaby was the third novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Paul Leonard. Featuring the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, it was set in the gap between The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Rescue, after Susan Foreman left but before Vicki joined the crew.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "You want me to help you eat your children?" Ian said.
- Jellenhut's eye-stalks twitched. "How else would we remember them?"
Venus is dying. When the Doctor, Barbara and Ian arrive they find an ancient and utterly alien civilization on the verge of oblivion. War is brewing between those who are determined to accept death, and those desperate for salvation whatever the cost.
Then a spacefaring race arrives, offering to rescue the Venusians by moving them all to Earth — three billion years before mankind is due to evolve. Are the newcomers' motives as pure as they appear? And will the Doctor allow them to save his oldest friends by sacrificing the future of humanity?
to be added
- First Doctor
- Ian Chesterton
- Barbara Wright
- Jilet Mrak-ecado
- Professor Jofghil
The Doctor Edit
The Doctor's items Edit
- The Doctor carries everlasting matches.
- Ian knows of a Venusian lullaby.
- There were various factions, known as anti-Acceptancers, who tried to find alternatives to their civilisation's fate. These included the Below the Sun Believers, the Rocketeers, the Water-breathers, the Volcano People, the Magnetologists and the Cave-makers.
- Trikhobu works out a method for piloting the TARDIS based on tracking individuals.
- The remark by Ian that Christmas has passed recently appears to be a rather sly reference to the broadcast date of the television story The Dalek Invasion of Earth, which aired during the Christmas week. The novel takes place immediately after that story.
- This book, Paul Leonard's first, was intended to lead into Jim Mortimore's short story The Book of Shadows. Mortimore had convinced Leonard to pitch to Virgin Books, and Leonard chose the First Doctor TARDIS team so he could use Mortimore's "ready-made characterisations".
- Susan Foreman's departure from the TARDIS weighs heavily on the Doctor's mind. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- A Venusian lullaby was later mentioned by the Third Doctor at Devil's End, the beginning of which went "Close your eyes, my darling, or three of them at least." (TV: The Dæmons)
- Ian compares Bikugih to Morphoton. (TV: The Keys of Marinus)
- The Doctor asks Pown(ow)ri whether the Sou(ou)shi are related to the Great Vampires. (TV: State of Decay)
- Barbara thinks about her father at the time she got her teaching job at Coal Hill School. However, a later short story claims that her father was killed in the early stages of World War II when Barbara was only a child. (PROSE: Tell Me You Love Me)
- At the end, the Doctor expresses his intention to travel to the time of Aristea in order to collect some gold to make a wedding ring for Susan's wedding. (PROSE: The Book of Shadows)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Venusian Lullaby at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Venusian Lullaby
- Doctor Who Bewildering Reference Guide to Venusian Lullaby
- Beyond the Book: Venusian Lullaby by Paul Scoones (Article) - TSV 43