- You may be looking for the Seventh Doctor audio story of the same name.
Vanguard was the first story in the audio anthology, Extinction, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Matt Fitton and featured Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart and Ingrid Oliver as Petronella Osgood.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
From a state-of-the-art bunker beneath the Tower of London, Kate Stewart leads a secret army protecting the Earth from extraterrestrial threat. Crashed UFOs, strange meteors, a giant lizard in the Severn - all business as usual for UNIT.
Journalist Jacqui McGee is also on FutureTech's case, and nothing's going to get in the way of her story: a product launch that will change the world...
Plot[edit | edit source]
At the Severn Bridge, Colonel Shindi and his men, including Captain Josh Carter, shoot at a six-metre crocodilian with rubber bullets to keep it in the water before Kate arrives, telling the Colonel that they need only reunite the crocodilian with its spacecraft in a hangar in Newport. As Kate wants an end to the shooting, Josh heads to Osgood's mobile laboratory and takes the pacifier she has built, jumping into the water to use it.
Kate returns to the Tower of London after speaking with the Prime Minister and confirms with Colonel Shindi that the crocodilian has departed safely. Whilst Colonel Shindi sees little promise in Josh, Kate says that he has potential and that they could complete his training despite him having left Sandhurst prematurely. However, she tells the Colonel to do what he thinks best.
Jacqui produces an invitation and a security pass, informing Tim that he will be attending the opening launch of Devlin's 3D printers with her and will be secretly filming. She asks his opinion on what colour wig she should wear.
Osgood attempts to display her counter-energy beam for Josh but it explodes, after which Kate arrives and asks her if she was planning on attending the launch at Devlin Futuretech with her. Osgood declines and Kate leaves whilst Josh heads off to see Colonel Shindi.
At the launch, Kate meets Jacqui and catches her out, knowing that the name on her badge belongs to a sixty-year-old man and recognising her from television. Kate is surprised by the journalist's knowledge of UNIT and her father but pretends to be part of a simple science board before they are called in for the launch by Jenna Gold.
To be completed.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Kate Stewart - Jemma Redgrave
- Osgood - Ingrid Oliver
- Colonel Shindi - Ramon Tikaram
- Captain Josh Carter - James Joyce
- Simon Devlin - Steve John Shepherd
- Jenna Gold - Karina Fernandez
- Jacqui McGee - Tracy Wiles
- Tim Stevens - Derek Carlyle
- The Nestene Consciousness - Nicholas Briggs
References[edit | edit source]
- Colonel Shindi shuts down the M4 and Annie Traffic demands an update.
- The robot ravens are upgraded with infrared night vision.
- Josh asks Osgood if she was part of the Girl Guides or Brownies. Osgood answers by saying she was part of chess club.
- Kate says that Osgood could have canapes and champagne at the launch.
- UNIT possesses an explosive called Nitro-12.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On 1 June 2017, Big Finish made this first episode of the anthology Extinction available as a separate free download.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Robotic ravens are being installed at the Tower of London. (TV: The Day of the Doctor)
- Kate wants to replicate the TARDIS language translation capabilities. (TV: The Masque of Mandragora, et al.)
- Osgood mentions the Pharos Project. (TV: Logopolis)
- Osgood has read the UNIT files on the Nestene and Autons. (TV: Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons)
[edit | edit source]
- Official Vanguard (free download) page at bigfinish.com
- Official Vanguard - Extinction page at bigfinish.com