Hi! I'm Nate, a fellow who wears many hats: moderator of the Doctor Who and Gallifrey communities on Reddit; admin of the Faction Paradox and Obverse wikis; and occasional Faction Paradox author! Nothing is canon, but the Eighth Doctor novels are canoner than NuWho, and I will challenge you to Rock Paper Scissors if you disagree.
Disclaimer: I do my best to stick to old-fashioned Wikipedian values, and I absolutely never intend to attack anyone through what I say on this site. If any reader takes unintended offense at anything I say, I sincerely apologize; feel free to contact me about it and I'll retract the perceived insult at the earliest opportunity.
Come join our growing community of wiki editors at the official Doctor Who Discord! (When you join, just ping me @NateBumber#5584 to give you the Wiki role.)
Changes I'd currently like on the wiki[edit | edit source]
Big thanks to all the admins who have helped with things on this list!
Renames[edit | edit source]
- Barnaby Edwards to Barnaby Edwards (Old Friend), and Barnaby Edwards (actor) to Barnaby Edwards.
- Dalek invasion of Mars to 2150s Dalek invasion of Mars.
- Dave Stone to Dave Stone (Many Happy Returns), then Dave Stone (writer) to Dave Stone.
- Edifice (TARDIS) to Edifice (The Ancestor Cell); Edifice (building) to Edifice (The Forever Trap); and Edifice (spaceship) to Edifice (The Sirens of Time).
- Grant (The Return of Doctor Mysterio) to Grant Gordon (see the talk page), and Lucy Fletcher to Lucy Lombard (see the talk page).
- Either Interference (novel) to Interference (prose series) — see this Panopticon thread — or Interference - Book One (novel) and Interference - Book Two (novel) to Interference - Book One and Interference - Book Two, as originally argued here.
- John Lucarotti to John Lucarotti (The Meeting), then John Lucarotti (writer) to John Lucarotti.
- Main Range to The Monthly Adventures.
- Sabbath Dei to Sabbath.
- All the Short Trips anthologies: for instance, Short Trips: Zodiac to Zodiac (anthology). See this talk page.
- Torchwood (TV series) to Torchwood (series), as its fifth and sixth series have been audio rather than television.
- Untitled (DWS short story) to Untitled (short story), as unlike all the other "Untitled"s on the wiki, its actual title is "Untitled". (Thanks for the headache, Rob!)
Speedy renames[edit | edit source]
Links moved[edit | edit source]
- Ambulance Pilot to Ambulance pilot (Cortex Fire)
- Hen night girl to Hen night girl (Dead Man Walking)
- Murdered woman to Murdered woman (Adam)
Links not moved[edit | edit source]
Either because the present name should stay as a redirect, or because I just haven't gotten around to it yet :)
- Chinese girl (Children of Earth: Day One) to Taiwanese girl (Children of Earth)
- Maxie (The Door We Forgot) to Maxie Masters
- Parliamentary Secretary to Parliamentary Secretary (Children of Earth)
Mergers[edit | edit source]
- Morok guard 2 into Morok technician
- The HAVOC Files 2: Special Edition into The HAVOC Files 2
- The HAVOC Files 3: Special Edition into The HAVOC Files 3
Policy[edit | edit source]
Except where otherwise noted, it's my understanding that each of these suggestions would require a forum thread to enact; I am intimately familiar with T:BOUND, and I cannot and will not act on them until then.
- The growth of metafictional information on this wiki is incredibly confusing to the not we who expect pages like Doctor Who Series 9 to, you know, talk about Doctor Who Series 9. We need better and more explicit policy for disambiguation in this kind of scenario; see Talk:The Woman Who Lived and Talk:Dave Stone. As just one example out of many, Erasing Sherlock should be Erasing Sherlock (N-Space) or Erasing Sherlock (The Doctor's universe).
- The implications of Shambala108's ruling that character pages should only have 2-3 sentences per story have yet to be realised on the wiki.
- The Master must be split into The Master (Terror of the Autons), The Master (Dominion), Missy, The Master (Utopia), War Master, etc so there's more room to discuss each story. See this talk page discussion.
- Most material about the Doctor's childhood on First Doctor should be removed and redirected to The Doctor's early life, in accord with T:NPOV. See Talk:The Doctor's early life.
- Likewise, large portions of Third Doctor should be redirected to Exile on Earth, where events can be discussed in more detail.
- Per CzechOut's decision that novelisations are valid sources,
- EITHER Joe (Scream of the Shalka) should be renamed Joe Latham and Chief Inspector (The Lost Boy) should be renamed Robert Lines (see here for a longer list);
- OR Cass Fermazzi should be renamed Cass (The Night of the Doctor), Crane should be renamed Nurse (The Curse of Fenric), and Edward Wright should be renamed Polly Wright's father.
- Additionally, novelisations and other adaptations should be included in lists of appearances, just as they already are on Patience, Iranda, etc.
- For a wiki run by fans for fans, we care an awful lot about licensing! If 100% of the audience understands that a character is obviously intended to be (for instance) the Doctor, we should just cover them as the Doctor, regardless of the exact legalities. The Homeworld precedent already hints at this, but a broader policy would also allow us to recognise the Cosmic Hobo as the Doctor, the Mistress (The Choice) as Romana II, and the Imperator as Morbius (see here for a longer list).
- This interview has me rethinking how we write leads on this wiki. I haven't settled on anything articulable yet, but my changes to The Beatles and Musée d'Orsay may provide insight into my thinking.
- Characters and concepts with mentions or minor appearances in other universes don't need separate pages; for instance, it serves no one to separate our coverage of Moira (Shadow World) from Moira (The Pilot), Jevon (Ascension) from Jevon, or Red Pagoda from Moulin Rouge.
- It generally makes more sense to order stories in bibliographies and lists of appearance chronologically than by medium.
Sandbox[edit | edit source]
- Main article: User:NateBumber/Sandbox