Publisher's summary Edit
Discover the new Doctor Who classics.
Still reeling from his encounter with the Cybermen, the First Doctor stumbles through the bitter Antarctic wind, resisting the approaching regeneration with all his strength. But as he fights his way through the snowdrifts, he comes across the familiar shape of a blue police box, and a mysterious figure who introduces himself as the Doctor...
Thrown together at their most vulnerable moments, the two Doctors must discover why the snowflakes are suspended in the sky, why a First World War Captain has been lifted from his time stream moments before his death, and who is the mysterious Glass Woman who knows their true name. The Doctor is reunited with Bill, but is she all she seems? And can he hold out against the coming regeneration?
Chapter titles Edit
- Unexpected Meetings
- The Captain
- Inside the Box
- Cats and Space Adventures
- The Glass Woman
- Escape to Danger
- A Dance to the Music of Time Lords
- The Ruins
- Heart of Glass
- Old Friends
- The Tower
- Enter Rusty
- A Whirlpool in Time
- The Hopes and Fears of All the Years
- The Long Way Round
- Fear Makes Companions of Us All
- The Doctor Rises
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Heather's fate is elaborated upon, and Bill's inability to remember her is addressed. Nardole also reveals what happened to him aboard the colony ship after the events of The Doctor Falls.
- The Doctor mentally swears by "the Rivers of Rassilon".
- The conversation between the two Doctors on Villengard is extended; the Twelfth Doctor is able to explain to the First what his reasons are for refusing to regenerate. They are also attacked by Dalek mutants before entering the tower, and the First Doctor wards them off with the sonic screwdriver.
- The First Doctor accepts the Twelfth Doctor as a future incarnation much earlier.
- The Testimony mention that they know the Doctor's name.
- The First Doctor's final words are slightly changed, and more dialogue is added.
- The Captain reveals his first name much earlier, as he introduces himself to Bill as Archie. In narration, his first name is revealed even earlier.
- The Twelfth Doctor's ring is identified as his wedding ring in honour of River Song.
- The Twelfth Doctor recalls meeting all the people whose names he uses as nicknames for his first incarnation.
- Nardole's glass avatar mentions the number 728.
- The First Doctor’s exaggerated behaviour is explained as him deliberately annoying the Twelfth Doctor, as he didn’t like him.
- Archie inspects the Doctor's VHS recording of "the Daleks' master plan". The Twelfth Doctor considered that "they'd dearly love to get that back, having lost their own copy centuries ago."
- More detail is given on the battle which took place before Archie ended up in the crater with the German soldier.
- The First Doctor is explained to have deliberately taken a passive role towards the Cyberman invasion in The Tenth Planet because he knew beforehand how the events would play out.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- Chapter 16, "The Hopes and Fears of All the Years", shares its title with a short story published in The Daily Telegraph in 2007 which was also written by Paul Cornell.
- This is the most recent novelisation to not be written by the original scriptwriter.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added