Publisher's summary Edit
Responding to a desperate summons from the Doctor's future self, he and Peri find themselves on a sailing ship in 1492, where the crewmen are gripped by superstitious fear. They say the Devil walks among them, stalking and striking them down.
Even though they have landed in paradise, they fear that 'El Diablo' himself will drag them over the edge of the world and into the depths of hell. When the Doctor and Peri meet the captain of the ship, they both discover that heroes can sometimes behave un-heroically. Peri's reaction leads her into deep water, and soon the Doctor fears not only for her life but also for the existence of the ship, the paradise island, and the Universe itself...
to be added
- Peri's father Paul Brown owned a Chevy, which she describes as a "jalopy."
- The Eleventh Doctor tells his sixth incarnation to obtain an omniparadox for him. He tells his younger self that he will need it in the future to save the universe.
- The Eleventh Doctor claims that his TARDIS has a GPS with the voice of Davros.
- Christopher Columbus believes that Peri is an offering to him from the natives.
- Columbus' ships are the Santa Maria, the Niña and the Pinta.
- Peri was a straight-A student at high school.
- By the 15th century, it was against Spanish custom to engage the slave trade.
- The Doctor wears cat cufflinks.
- The Bovine Herd Leader, whom Peri describes as a "space buffalo," claims that bovine horde ruled the Earth in the distant past and humans worshiped them as gods.
- The Eleventh Doctor refers to his fez. (TV: The Big Bang, et. al)
- Peri refers to her encounters with George Stephenson in Killingworth in the 19th century (TV: The Mark of the Rani), H. G. Wells on Karfel (TV: Timelash) and Richard III in 1483. (AUDIO: The Kingmaker)
- Peri mentions that she is from Maryland and that her mother is Janine Foster. (AUDIO: The Reaping)