A serious, but little bit grumpy Eleventh Doctor, arrives with Clara Oswald having accepted a psychic invitation to be a guest speaker at a Time Conference on Refkeet Nine. But it appears the invitation was also received by the First Doctor who has arrived with his granddaughter Susan Foreman. Clara recognises the First Doctor from the Doctor's own time-stream but is warned by the Doctor that they must not meet up or risk crossing his own timeline for fear of things get a bit ... "explody!" While the First Doctor is led away by the conference hosts the Doctor and Clara discover that the conference is a trap and, in a caged area, a Nuppino horse is being abused and being 'trained' to teach the Doctor a lesson for his meddling in time. The Eleventh Doctor isn't recognised and with Clara's help set about freeing the beautiful, bright and kind Nuppino Horse from its captivity. As the First Doctor is led towards the main hall, to "be treated as he deserves" the Nuppino Horse — now released from his chains, runs amok chasing the hosts around just to give them a little scare! In the background the Eleventh Doctor and Clara watch as with their plans now in tatters the First Doctor turns on the hosts and gives them a proper dressing down for their senseless and shameful treatment of such a gentle creature. The Doctor makes the final point to Clara that he's not as grumpy as he used to be!
to be added
- This 50th anniversary timed comic adventure throws the original pairing of the First Doctor and his grand daughter Susan with the latest pairing of the Eleventh Doctor and Clara Oswald.
- In retrospect, the Eleventh Doctor referring to himself as being "less grumpy" than he used to be is foreshadowing for the more stern and, at times, grumpy Twelfth Doctor soon to come.
- This story marks the only appearance, to date, of a "classic era" Doctor in a DWA strip.
- On a few occasions it has been possible for the Doctor to cross his own time stream, (TV: The Three Doctors, The Two Doctors, The Day of the Doctor) but there is more usually a risk of danger. (TV: Mawdryn Undead, Father's Day)
- Clara recognises the First Doctor, having travelled through the Doctor's time stream. (TV: The Name of the Doctor)