This page lists appearances of Victoria Waterfield in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based on observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events in each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is based in part on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as DocOhoReviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Database, the Big Finish forums, The Whoniverse and the Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Travelling with the DoctorEdit
- After her father dies protecting him from the Daleks, the Doctor takes on the orphaned Victoria Waterfield as a companion.
- Victoria is introduced to the TARDIS, setting this immediately after The Evil of the Daleks. The Doctor tells her that he is "around 450-years-old" in Earth terms.
- Victoria has not fully accepted her new life aboard the TARDIS. She recalls visiting Telos, setting this shortly after The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- While authorial intent places this between The Web of Fear and Fury from the Deep , Victoria is still very new to seeing other time periods. The Doctor also gives Victoria a brief talk regarding the extraordinary nature of her new life as a time traveller, echoing the conversation that they had in The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- Victoria has only been travelling with the Doctor for a short time, setting this shortly after The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- The Doctor has not encountered a Yeti before, setting this before The Abominable Snowmen.
- Jamie tells Victoria he has not yet learned to write.
- Victoria is teaching Jamie to read, starting with letters.
- The Doctor still feels "new" to his body. Jamie has learned to write in English, albeit not very well.
- The Doctor meets Professor Edward Travers and faces the Great Intelligence for the first time at a Tibetan monastery.
- Jamie initially thinks that the TARDIS has only landed further up the Tibetan mountain, setting this immediately after The Abominable Snowmen.
- The TARDIS console room is still a mess from the previous landing in The Ice Warriors. Meeting another Time Lord called Pavo, the Doctor and Jamie are asked to visit Joinson Dastari, while Victoria decides to remain with Pavo to study graphology. After "a couple of weeks" of adventures, the Doctor and Jamie return for Victoria, and learn that "Pavo" was the Monk in disguise. After assisting the real Pavo in foiling the Monk's plan, the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria have their memories of the events erased.
- Set between The Ice Warriors and Enemy of the World, according to the back cover. The Doctor uses his new sonic screwdriver, which he had previously resolved to create in The Murder Game.
- The Doctor refers to the tropical beach as "a welcome change", setting this before The Enemy of the World.
- Set between The Ice Warriors and The Enemy of the World, according to the author's notes.
- Victoria sees an hallucination of her deceased father for the first time, setting this before Father Figure.
- Set immediately after The Enemy of the World. The Doctor has his first formal encounter with Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.
- Set during The Web of Fear: Episode 2. Depicts the moment the Doctor was introduced to Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart.
- Continues on from the ending of The Web of Fear: Episode 6.
- Set shortly after The Web of Fear, with London still recovering from the Yeti invasion.
- Victoria welcomes a peaceful change from "the horrors of the London Underground", referring to The Web of Fear.
- Set between The Web of Fear and Fury from the Deep. Upon learning that they are near Tibet, Jamie wonders if the TARDIS crew will encounter more of the Yeti from The Abominable Snowman.
- The Doctor is testing his new sonic screwdriver, setting this just before Fury from the Deep.
- Set on Earth, shortly before Fury of the Deep.
- After seeing far too much death in her travels, Victoria privately decides that she will leave the TARDIS soon.
- Victoria has been on the TARDIS for several months now, and starts thinking about leaving.
- Immediately after Twilight of the Gods, the Doctor reunites with an old Time Lord friend, who succumbs to his inner darkness and becomes the Master. Victoria decides that she shall leave the TARDIS at their next stop on Earth. Any story set on Earth where Victoria is considering leaving must take place before this story.
- Set shortly before Fury from the Deep.
- Having found a surrogate family, Victoria parts with the Doctor and Jamie.
After the DoctorEdit
- The Seventh Doctor picks up Victoria and takes her to 1868 to sign papers dealing with her father's estate.
- An older Victoria is manipulated by the Great Intelligence, meeting Sarah Jane Smith.
- An older Victoria recounts a past adventure with the Doctor and Jamie. She is visited by the Seventh Doctor, but doesn't recognise him, suggesting a pre-Prelude Birthright setting. According to the official script, however, it is set in 2016.
- Victoria attends the funeral of Sarah Jane Smith.