This page lists appearances of the Torchwood Institute and Torchwood Three in chronological order. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
Limiting factors Edit
Any story with Gwen, Ianto, Owen and Tosh working for Torchwood Three must be between TV: Everything Changes and TV: Exit Wounds. Jack takes a leave of absence from this team between TV: End of Days and TV: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
Any story where Owen is dead, but still mobile, must be set after TV: Dead Man Walking and before TV: Exit Wounds. Any story where Gwen is married to Rhys must be after TV: Something Borrowed. Any story where Owen and Tosh are dead must be after TV: Exit Wounds, while any story where Ianto is dead must be set after TV: Children of Earth: Day Four.
- Jack Harkness, Gwen, Owen, Ianto and Tosh in Torchwood Three
- Jack Harkness, Gwen and Ianto in Torchwood Three
- Jack Harkness, Gwen, Ianto and associate Rhys Williams following the Torchwood Hub's destruction
- Jack Harkness, Gwen, Rex Matheson and Esther Drummond as part of a new team codenamed Torchwood
- John Hart imprisons Jack at Flat Holm, 1887. He creates an alternate timeline which is ultimately undone by Jack.
- Set in 1893.
- Set in 1898.
The 20th Century Edit
- On a mission for the Committee, Norton Folgate uses a pharadyne projector to travel forwards in time to 2016 from 1953 as a hologram. He recovers Object One.
- Norton and Andy recall the events of Goodbye Piccadilly.
- Set in the 1970s.
- On 31 December 1999, Alex Hopkins is shown the 456 and The Miracle by The Red Key and then murders his team, leading directly into the Fragments flashback. (AUDIO: The Torchwood Archive) Alex hands Torchwood Three over to Jack and subsequently kills himself, unwilling to face the threats to come in the 21st century. (TV: Fragments)
The Fall of Torchwood One Edit
- Set on 26 March 2005. Torchwood Three consists of Jack Harkness, Suzie Costello and Toshiko Sato. Rajesh Singh is monitoring the Void Ship and Ianto is working for Torchwood One.
- Set in 2005, a few months after One Rule.
- Set in 2006.
- Set in 2006.
- Set in 2006.
- Set in March 2006. Toshiko Sato covers for Owen Harper during his second week of work and performs an alien autopsy. Set in March 2006.
- Set between Aliens of London and Boom Town so between March and September 2006.
- Set six months after Aliens of London, making it roughly September 2006. Margaret Blaine is the mayor of Cardiff. Idris Hopper meets Jack Harkness for the first time.
- In November 2006, a month after the events of Boom Town, Jack takes Idris Hopper out on a date. He retcons Idris to forget about him and the Doctor. (PROSE: The Twilight Streets)
- Ianto has worked at Torchwood One for three years, setting this in 2007.
- The Ghost Shifts have started, setting this in 2007 and after Infamy of the Zaross.
- The Ghost shifts have already started, setting this shortly before Army of Ghosts. A journalist investigates the history of Torchwood, only to be apprehended by them before he can reveal their existence to the public.
- The Tenth Doctor investigates the Ghost shifts caused by Torchwood One. The Void Ship opens to reveal the Daleks inside. Ending leads directly into Doomsday.
- A Newsreader reports on the Cyberman Invasion as it happens, but is quickly cut off by a Dalek attack.
- Most of Torchwood One is wiped out during the Battle of Canary Wharf including Yvonne Hartman, who is converted into a Cyberman.
The Rise of Torchwood Three Edit
- It has been 18 months since Katie's funeral and as long since Owen joined Torchwood.
- Gwen is recruited.
- Gwen's first day on the job.
- Gwen is still inexperienced with weapons. Set 66 years after 1941.
- Rhys mentions a co-worker called Lucy who has been on a diet recently, foreshadowing Slow Decay. Gwen has been working for Torchwood for a few weeks now and has experience with weapons, setting this after Ghost Machine.
- Set in October 2007.
- Ianto keeps something secret in the hub.
- Ianto first enters the ferret the night after Lisa dies. A few days later Jack takes Ianto out to hunt Weevils. Later when Ianto returns to the Ferret, he is given advice by Mandy. The next day, Jack is contacted by Estelle Cole and takes Gwen with him instead of Ianto, leading directly into Small Worlds. (AUDIO: Broken)
- Tosh has recently discovered what her friends really think of her and recently had a bad relationship, setting this shortly after Greeks Bearing Gifts.
- Set three months after Everything Changes.
- The events of Cyberwoman are recent and Ianto is in a relationship with Jack.
- Jack, Gwen, Ianto, Owen and Tosh are all present in the hub. Jack and Ianto are in a relationship.
- Set 14 years after 1992, can be attributed to rounding.
- Jack investigates George Wilson and his connection to the Committee. Jack leaves Cardiff to investigate the Committee further. He leaves a message for the team, explaining his absence and notes that the team has dealt with issues without him before.
- Jack is currently missing and investigating the Conspiracy, setting this between The Conspiracy and Uncanny Valley. Ianto feels as though he has had a tough time winning the trust of his colleagues back following the events of Cyberwoman.
- Jack decides to return to Torchwood Three.
- Jack is kidnapped while he and Gwen are on patrol.
- Owen is visibly upset by the events of Out of Time in this story. He calls off his affair with Gwen.
- Neil Redmond was investigated by the KVI, setting this shortly after Uncanny Valley. Toshiko is working on the Time lock. Anna Volokova says she was born in 1930, with Tosh then exclaiming that she must be 78 years old suggesting 2008 setting. Maxim Ivanov is killed.
- Jack and Ianto are in a relationship, setting this after Broken. The team don’t know that Jack is immortal yet, setting this before Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
- Continues where Captain Jack Harkness left off. Jack disappears from Torchwood.
Jack's disappearance Edit
- Set shortly after End of Days with the team arguing over who will take charge in Jack's absence.
- Set on Valentine's Day. Jack is currently missing and the events of The Last Beacon were several months ago.
Torchwood Three grows closer Edit
- Gwen has started taking charge more in Jack's absence, in comparison to Captain Jack Harkness, where Owen was said to be second-in-command. Gwen is now engaged to Rhys.
- Torchwood deals with an attack by Cell 114, and are made aware that other sleeper agents are on Earth.
- Set after Sleeper, Jack and Ianto spend a period of some weeks undercover to destroy the last of Cell 114.
- Occurs on 20 June, 114 years after 1894. Gwen has her first and only encounter with Tommy Brockless, who is annually defrosted for the last time. Thus, she has been at Torchwood for no longer than exactly one year.
- Tosh recalls To the Last Man but Rhys does not yet know about Torchwood, setting this before Meat.
- Set in 2008. To the Last Man is referenced and Rhys does not appear to be aware of Torchwood, setting this before Meat.
- Set between Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Reset.
- Rhys finally learns the truth about Torchwood.
- Set 4 July 2008. Rhys knows about Torchwood, setting this after Meat. However Owen is still alive, setting this before Reset.
- Set after Zone 10 but months before Exit Wounds.
- Set in August 2008. 22 months have passed since Jack last encountered Idris Hopper. Rhys is aware of the existence of Torchwood, setting this after Meat. However Owen is still alive, setting this before Reset. Owen recalls the emails he exchanged with Archie in The Torchwood Archive.
- Jack gives Gwen two plane tickets to Paris, setting this shortly before Adam
- Gwen has just returned from a trip to Paris with Rhys.
- Rhys knows about Torchwood, setting this after Meat. However, Owen has not died yet, setting this before Reset.
- Owen has not died yet, setting this before Reset.
- Rhys knows about Torchwood, setting this after Meat. However, Owen has not died yet, setting this before Reset. Gwen and Rhys are getting married in a few weeks time, setting this before Something Borrowed.
Owen's undeath Edit
- Owen is killed, then resurrected, but with no life signs.
- Set three days after Reset.
- Gwen is engaged, setting this between Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Something Borrowed.
- The team know that Jack is immortal, setting this after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
- Owen is undead, setting this after A Day in the Death. Gwen is about to get married, setting this before Something Borrowed.
- Begins on 31 October and continues into early November. Owen is undead, setting this after A Day in the Death. However Gwen and Rhys are finalising plans for their wedding, setting this before Something Borrowed.
- Gwen and Rhys get married.
- Set on Gwen's first day back at work following her honeymoon with Rhys.
- Gwen and Rhys have just returned from their honeymoon and two weeks have passed since Something Borrowed. Toshiko is working on the Time lock. Gwen has been with Torchwood for roughly a year. Two years have passed since Owen joined Torchwood, while a couple of months have passed since Reset. It is mentioned several times that it is September, however this conflicts with several other dates given.
- Set in 2009. [disputed statement] Owen is undead, setting this after A Day in the Death. The team know that people can be taken away by the rift, setting this after Adrift.
- Owen and Andy work together representing Torchwood and the police respectively to investigate a cold case with suspected alien involvement. Owen and Andy develop a friendship over the course of the story. Owen knows that people can be taken away by the rift, setting this after Adrift.
- Gwen mentions the Nostrovite, placing this story after Something Borrowed. The team haven't been able to trust Jack recently, setting this after Adrift.
- Owen and Andy are friends, setting this after Corpse Day.
- At least 21 months after the battle of Canary Wharf, according to Ianto's flashback.
- Continues where Fragments left off. Owen and Tosh die. In 1901, Jack asks to be frozen for 107 years so that he'd wake up in what he'd consider 'the present', setting this in 2008.
Coping without Tosh and Owen Edit
- Jack gets pregnant very soon after Exit Wounds. Jack and Ianto are left to run Torchwood alone while Gwen is holidaying in Tenerife.
- Martha meets Jack for the first time since Owen and Tosh's funeral. In the real world, The Large Hadron Collider was switched on, on the 10 September 2008 which was also the date this story was released. However no dialogue in the story supports this placement and it conflicts with other dates given.
- Jack, Gwen and Ianto celebrate New Year's Eve together. This story conflicts Fragments being set in 2009.
- Its still early in the new year.
- Two months have passed since the events of Voyage of the Damned, setting this in February 2009. Jack is reunited with The Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones.
- Torchwood meet Nina Rogers.
After the Dalek invasion Edit
- The door to the Hub is still damaged from the Dalek attack. Torchwood Three have a boat called the Sea Queen. It is destroyed by the end of the story.
- Preview to Risk Assessment.
- Set in 2009. Torchwood Three have replaced the Sea Queen with the Sea Queen II.
- Nina Rogers recalls the Dalek Invasion. She is 21 years old and Ianto is still alive, setting this at some point between July and September 2009.
- Ianto has done Opera, setting this after Into the Silence.
- Takes place 140 years after 1869 setting this in 2009.
- Simon Peters feeds Jack and Ianto to the Rift, erasing them from history. This creates an alternate timeline where Gwen has been running Torchwood alone for years. With the help of Andy and Rhys, she investigates recent disappearances in Cardiff, leading her to Simon's gathering at the Millennium Stadium. Nina Rogers is present and believes that Gwen looks familiar. Simon feeds his followers to the Rift, and Gwen remembers Torchwood. Three days later, Gwen lures Simon to Flat Holm and kills him, before taking Retcon to forget. She returns to Cardiff where Jack and Ianto appear in the Hub, having escaped the pocket dimension using Jack's Vortex manipulator.
- Norton Folgate is aware that Ianto will die soon.
- A long time has passed since Reset, and quite some time has also passed since Exit Wounds. Jack and Ianto are referenced, setting this before Children of Earth. Martha missed a Torchwood Christmas Party that she was invited to after Tosh and Owen's deaths.
The 456 Return Edit
- Ianto is killed after The 456 Flood Thames House with a virus that kills everyone inside the building.
- Jack and Gwen attend Ianto's funeral.
- Set one month after the 456 incident, in October 2009. Suzie is briefly resurrected for a second time.
- Set shortly after Ianto's death.
- The Doctor sets Jack up with Midshipman Alonso Frame. Ending leads directly into One Enchanted Evening.
- Jack and Alonso are separated after the space station they are on is attacked.
- Begins around March 2010 with Gwen seven months pregnant, and continues through to about May of the same year, with the birth of Anwen Williams.
- Jack returns to Earth.
- Set on the first day of The Miracle.
- Jack and Gwen return to the UK, along with Esther after End of the Road. The New World through End of the Road flow into one another.
- Takes place a two months after End of the Road.
- Continues where The Gathering left off. Esther's funeral takes place a few weeks after the main story. According to a date on Rex's phone, it is September 2011.
- Gwen and Rhys are still in America following Miracle Day. Gwen gives Sarah Drummond a small fortune.
- Gwen and Rhys are still in America.
- Jack visits Cotter Paluni's World and has a vision of Gwen dying.
- Set shortly after Red Skies with Jack returning to Cardiff to check on Gwen following his vision. Gwen and Rhys have returned to Swansea. The events of Fallout were weeks ago.
- The Miracle ended a few months ago. Andy recalls the events of Fallout while Gwen and Rhys still live in Swansea. Jack joins the crew of the Ice Maiden.
- Gwen hasn’t seen Jack for five years. The Miracle is mentioned. Gwen decides to set up Torchwood operations in Cardiff again.
- Roughly 10 years have passed since Day One, but Torchwood has been forgotten in the space of four years.
- Set in 2016. Almost 10 years have passed since Gwen Cooper joined Torchwood and she has recently started trying to set up operations in Cardiff again.
- Set during the winter. Gwen and Rhys have a place to store aliens, suggesting that they now have use of the Hub, placing this after More Than This.
- Gwen is acting-head of Torchwood Three, while Jack is serving with the crew of the Ice Maiden. Ending leads directly into Station Zero.
- Ending leads directly into The Culling.
- Jack and Gwen part ways once again after defeating the Vervoids.
- Gwen runs Torchwood. Mary Cooper is alive.
- Rhys mentions Roger Pugh from More Than This.
- Gwen gets a phone call from Rhys, and she mentions Anwen.
- Gwen keeps in contact with Rhys over the phone and mentions Anwen, setting this after Gwen decides to start running Torchwood alone following Forgotten Lives.
Aliens Among Us Edit
- Having been "dumped" by the crew of the Ice Maiden, Jack has returned to duty at Torchwood Cardiff.
- Gwen and Rhys attend Mary's funeral. Torchwood meet Orr for the first time. Changes Everything was a few weeks ago.
- After helping Torchwood investigate a new hotel, Orr joins the team permanently.
- Orr has only just joined the team. Rhys believes that Gwen hasn’t been herself for weeks, since before Mary died.
- Bilis Manger says that he is going to see some old friends, suggesting this takes place just before A Kill to a View.
- Colchester encounters Bilis Manger.
- Ending leads directly into Poker Face.
- A few months have passed since Changes Everything. Poker Face was a few days ago.
God Among Us Edit
- Set a few weeks after Herald of the Dawn.
- Set a few weeks after Herald of the Dawn. The Mayor of Cardiff has gone missing, setting this after Future Pain. Brent Hayden is still around, setting this before The Man Who Destroyed Torchwood. Flight 405 went missing in 1957 and has been circling Cardiff for 60 years, setting this around 2017. Proper Grub is advertised on the radio, setting this before The Green Life.
- Jack teams up with Jo Grant to defeat BOSS and shut down Proper Grub, setting this after Cardiff Unknown.
- Gwen has quit Torchwood, and she’s trying to live a normal life with Rhys, however Torchwood is still running and has a team that can be called in to deal with alien threats.
- Ending leads directly into Night Watch.
- Set weeks after Future Pain. Ending leads directly into Flight 405.
- The Empty Hand took place the previous year. Set weeks after Flight 405.
- Set around two months after Eye of the Storm.
- Colchester died "A few months ago".
- The Hub is destroyed again, and Torchwood go on the run from The Committee.
Resumed operations Edit
- Andy is on a mission for Torchwood.
- Andy recalls the events of Goodbye Piccadilly. Andy travels back to the 1950s using a vortex manipulator after picking up a time disturbance relating to Norton on the Torchwood computer. He is "sort-of" working for Torchwood and claims to have a lot of experience with time travel.
- Andy arrives in London to check up on Tania and her mission to keep the Eighth Doctor out of harms way.
- Yvonne Hartman sends a message to the people of the United Kingdom, as head of Torchwood, urging them to self isolate.
Far Future Edit
- Following Walker's death, Curt searches through his belongings and discovers a notebook filled with satanic writing and is subsequently possessed by The Beast.
- In 4221, Zachary Cross Flane, representative of the Torchwood Archive leads Sanctuary Base 6 following the death of Captain Walker. Ending leads directly into The Satan Pit. Zachary Cross Flane escapes Krop Tor with the surviving members of Sanctuary Base 6.
- Set in March.
- To Bilis' disbelief, Torchwood do not interfere in this story, meaning he is familiar with them, setting this after his meeting with them in Captain Jack Harkness. Bilis says he repairs clocks, referring to Captain Jack Harkness. Bilis has been trapped by The Committee.
- 537 days to the Glory. Gwen dreams about Jack and Ianto, but no longer knows who they are. Meanwhile Simon brings Elwyn back through the Rift, however she dies shortly after.
- 502 days to the Glory. Gwen witnesses Simon preaching in the streets, however no one listens to him.
- 444 days prior to the Glory, Gwen, Jack, Tosh and Owen attempt to talk a man called Bryn out of suicide. Owen is known as "King of the Weevils", setting this between A Day in the Death and Exit Wounds.
- 336 days to the Glory. Gwen and Jack recover Elwyn's body from Simon's house.
- 193 days to the Glory. Simon preaches the coming of the Glory to his followers while Gwen dreams of herself, Jack and Ianto discovering a spike in Rift activity in Cardiff.