This page lists appearances of the Thirteenth Doctor in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
The layout of this timeline is in part based on the observations on Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, as well as Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as Doctor Who Reviews, and Clive Banks databanks. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
After being asked to refer to him as such in The Woman Who Fell to Earth and The Ghost Monument, Ryan is able to bring himself to call Graham his granddad in It Takes You Away. Thus, any story where Ryan identifies Graham by his name is more likely to take place before It Takes You Away, while any story where he identifies him as his grandfather must take place afterwards. Stories that do not feature Ryan identifying Graham as either can take place at any point. However, entries such as Spyfall and The Power of the Mobox show that Ryan does call Graham both by name and by "granddad" interchangeably.
When Team TARDIS take one of their breaks from their travels in Can You Hear Me?, the Doctor is shown preparing to skip ahead to their next meeting in favour of traveling alone for a while, with the implication she does this the majority of the time, as she acts unaccustomed to not having a companion with her.
A new body
- The Doctor regenerates from her previous incarnation, and is almost immediately flung out the TARDIS when it begins catching fire from damage caused by the regeneration.
- Set during Twice Upon a Time, both during and immediately after the Doctor's regeneration.
- Set during Twice Upon a Time, immediately after the Doctor regenerates. The Doctor's actualised potential sends postcards to V. M. McCrimmon and Grandfather Halfling in the City of the Saved after becoming a certainty rather than a possibility.
- Following on directly from Twice Upon a Time, the Doctor lands in Sheffield during September 2018 and is assisted by Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham and Grace O'Brien in facing Tzim-Sha of the Stenza as she recovers from her regeneration. After Grace is killed during Tzim-Sha's defeat, the Doctor uses the Stenza tech to locate the TARDIS. Teleporting away, the Doctor accidently brings Ryan, Yaz and Graham with her, leading directly into The Ghost Monument.
- Rescued by Angstrom and Epzo during the Rally of the Twelve Galaxies, the Doctor, Ryan, Yaz and Graham find the TARDIS on Desolation and begin their return journey to Sheffield.
- Set during The Ghost Monument, with the Doctor thinking about the uncertainty of her future while standing on a rock overlooking an ocean.
Returning to Sheffield
- Yaz isn't familiar with regeneration.
- The Doctor meets Rosa Parks during her fourteenth attempt to return Ryan, Yaz and Graham to Sheffield. Ryan, Yaz and Graham learn the mechanisms of history while preventing Krasko from altering the start of the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- The TARDIS returns to Sheffield. Graham, Ryan and Yaz all choose to join the Doctor as her companions, calling themselves Team TARDIS. The Doctor alludes to her recent regeneration, noting that she is "still figuring [herself] out".
Early Travels with Team TARDIS
- Set immediately after Arachnids in the UK.
- Though the present day is given as 28 April 2019, Ryan and Yaz learn about the Time Agency for the first time, setting this before A New Beginning.
- The Doctor alludes to her recent regeneration, and Graham, Yaz and Ryan are still learning about the Doctor and how she operates. Yaz feels ill-equipped to handle situations on her own, and is surprised when the Doctor asks her to take over a situation without her. Graham indicates that the Doctor has been acting as a guide for them, across several adventures, but notes that "it still ain't easy", and he is also still getting used to the TARDIS's dimensional transcendentalism.
- The Doctor alludes to the recent events of The Ghost Monument while facing the Pting on the Tsuranga in the 67th century.
- Yaz is celebrating her birthday.
- The Doctor tells her companions about the TARDIS' telepathic capabilities when they go to the Partition of India to see Yaz's grandmother when she was younger.
- Yaz recalls the events of Demons of the Punjab.
- Graham implies that a month has passed since The Woman Who Fell to Earth. The Doctor is still figuring out the new TARDIS controls.
- Ryan says he doesn't want to visit another big warehouse, suggesting the events of Kerblam! are still fresh in his mind.
- Team TARDIS are trying to get the coronation of Elizabeth I, but end up in 17th century Lancashire instead, where they face the Morax with James I.
- Set between Arachnids in the UK and It Takes You Away, as the Doctor isn't attempting to reach Sheffield and Ryan is on a first-name basis with Graham. On Gatan, Team TARDIS meet robot reporter Sandola Dell and face Berakka Dogbolter.
- Ryan almost calls Graham his granddad, but stops himself, setting this shortly before It Takes You Away.
- After an encounter with the Solitract helps Graham come to better terms with Grace's death, Ryan calls him "granddad" for the first time after they both open up about their grief.
- Ryan calls Graham his granddad, setting this after It Takes You Away. Graham refers to the events of Combat Magicks.
- The Encyclopedia Gallifreya identifies a threat from Tzim-Sha's alliance with the Ux, setting this immediately before The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos.
- Team TARDIS face Tzim-Sha for the first time since The Woman Who Fell to Earth, with Graham considering executing him until he and Ryan decide to imprison him in a stasis chamber instead. Ryan tells Graham he loves him for the first time, and reinforces that he thinks of him as his family.
Discovering the Catastrophia
- Team TARDIS encounter the Herald, learn about the Children of Chaos, and discover an entrance to the Catastrophia during a trip to 1608 Bohemia. Graham recalls Team TARDIS meeting "big names in history", and how most of those encounters involved "something dodgy".
- On Acantha, Team TARDIS encounter Mother G for the first time. Ryan refers to Graham as his granddad, setting this after It Takes You Away.
- It has been months since Graham first entered the TARDIS, and Ryan refers to him as his granddad, setting this after It Takes You Away. The year is 2018 and Graham refers to it as the present day, setting this before Resolution. The Doctor tells her companions about the TARDIS's chameleon circuit. Yaz is 20-years-old, setting this after Dr. Thirteenth.
- Berakka Dogbolter skews the events of The Warmonger and The Power of the Mobox to present the Doctor as a villain. Team TARDIS discover another entrance to the Catastrophia and encounter the Children of Chaos again. The Herald is revealed to be the Doctor from a future where her mind is warped by the Catastrophia, though she manages to avoid this future after a visit to the Catastrophia. Graham implies that only a couple of months have passed since The Woman Who Fell to Earth.
- While celebrating various New Year's Day events in history, Team TARDIS fights a reconnaissance scout Dalek on 1 January 2019 with Lin and Mitch, which is the Thirteenth Doctor's first encounter with a Dalek since her regeneration, and the first encounter with them for Ryan, Graham and Yaz. During the conflict, Ryan's dad, Aaron Sinclair, re-enters Ryan's life with the promise of being a better father, and is introduced to Yaz and the Doctor. After they defeat the Dalek, Ryan and Aaron reconnect, but Aaron declines an invitation to join Team TARDIS, instead opting for Ryan to contact him upon his return to Earth.
- According to the Doctor, either one week or ten weeks have passed since A New Beginning. Ryan refers to Graham as his granddad, setting this after It Takes You Away, with the Doctor also still paranoid about the Woolly Rebellion. Team TARDIS find out that Schulz and Perkins have joined the Time Agency. 2019 is the present day, setting this after Resolution.
- The Doctor has not seen Missy since The Doctor Falls, setting this before The Liar, the Glitch and the War Zone.
- Team TARDIS meet an alien called Friffle, who tells them of how his people were kidnapped by Mr Henderson to work in his grotto with a memory wiping device keeping them at bay. With the help of Baxter the elf, they infiltrate the grotto and attempt to rescue the workers. They fail their mission, getting their memories of these events erased by the aforementioned device. Meet the Fam! is planted into their heads as a false memory in its place. (COMIC: Holiday Special)
- Team TARDIS meet Pythagoras and discover that the Doctor's sunglasses did not belong to him, prompting the Doctor to search for Audrey Hepburn, leading directly into Mission of the KaaDok.
- Graham recalls meeting Elvis Presley in That's All Right, Mama.
- Graham has a Christmas dinner to attend, suggesting it is Christmas time in the present day. Team TARDIS realise that the events of Meet the Fam! were the product of a false memory, placed into their heads by Mr Henderson after their first attempt to free Friffle's people. The story's printing in the Time Out of Mind graphic novel states that "a few time-jumps" have passed since the memory supposedly occurred.
Reminders of the past
- The present day is early 2020, as Graham has been in remission from his cancer for four years and 1834 is described as being "186 years back". Yaz is still a probationary officer. Graham learns that the Doctor really did used to be a man, having previously thought she was joking when mentioning it. The TARDIS console room has been slightly redecorated, and the Doctor encounters the Master in a body she doesn't recognise. After foiling his plot, the Doctor learns that the Master ravaged Gallifrey after discovering information about the Timeless Child.
- The Doctor is noted to have been in a bad mood as of late, suggesting a setting shortly after Spyfall.
- Graham, Yaz and Ryan encounter the Judoon for the first time and learn about the Cybermen. They also briefly meet Captain Jack Harkness, who passes on a message to "beware of the lone Cyberman". The Doctor encounters an alleged incarnation of herself who had been living under a Chameleon Arch. Graham, Yaz and Ryan proclaim that they will always be by the Doctor's side no matter what comes her way, lifting her spirits. The TARDIS picks up on multiple alerts across three Earth continents and Team TARDIS go to investigate it, leading directly into Praxeus.
- Set in January 2020, and the Doctor is reunited with Ace. Graham, Yaz and Ryan are fully aware that the Doctor used to be a man, setting this after Spyfall. Ace tells Yaz about the Cybermen, suggesting a post-Fugitive of the Judoon setting.
- Several months have passed on Earth since Spyfall, and Yaz references the events of Spyfall, Fugitive of the Judoon and Praxeus as her travels in the time she's been away from Sheffield, suggesting it is her first trip home since Spyfall. The Doctor is unaccustomed to traveling alone. Following the defeat of Zellin and Rakaya, Ryan and Yaz begin to wonder how much longer they will remain with the Doctor, while the Doctor decides to take Team TARDIS to see the origins of Frankenstein, leading directly into The Haunting of Villa Diodati.
- Team TARDIS meet Mary Shelley at Villa Diodati. Graham, Ryan and Yaz meet a Cyberman for the first time. The Doctor gives the Lone Cyberman what it wants, and decides to follow it into the future to fix her mistake.
- These entries are placed here due to being released early in this Doctor's tenure, and not having sufficient enough evidence to be placed in any chapter of this Doctor's run.
- Travelling on her own, the Doctor serves as a museum curator in Venice, and rescues Antonia when Missy abandons her in the 14th century. She leaves the museum immediately afterwards.
- The Doctor encounters the Moment in Henry VIII's third favourite garden, and then again later in the banana groves on Villengard. She is travelling alone.
- During Christmas 1966, the Doctor appears in Dublin to help Patricia Kiernan understand her encounter with the Judoon. She is travelling alone.
- The Doctor helps Santa Claus deliver Christmas presents in the TARDIS after his sleigh breaks down. She appears to be travelling alone.
- The Doctor meets with her fourth incarnation to remind him the importance of being the Doctor. She appears to be travelling alone.
- The Doctor converses with Conall Lethbridge-Stewart after Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart's funeral. She appears to be travelling alone.
- These entries are placed here until evidence presents itself that provides a clue as to where they happen in relation to other entries. Some of these are part of ongoing storylines that could present evidence towards the end of the plot.
- Graham, Yaz and Ryan are fully aware that the Doctor used to be a man, setting this after Spyfall, though the TARDIS console room has its Series 11 design.