This page lists appearances of the Great Intelligence in the order in which it experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories.
According to PROSE: Legacies, the Great Intelligence was an imprint of an inter-dimensional being, which existed in many realities, always ending up as the Great Intelligence and sharing the same basic attributes, although the Intelligences originated in various ways, including an immortal soul, and various Great Old Ones.
Its linear timeline starts with TV: The Abominable Snowmen and ends with PROSE: The Forgotten Son after being splintered across the Doctor's timeline. PROSE: The Forgotten Son also explains that the Intelligence lost its memory and somehow ended up in 1842. This explains how the intelligence was in London in 1892 when it possesed the body of Padmasambhava in Tibet between the 17th century and the 1920's/30's.
The events of PROSE: Fear of the Web, a date is given of February 1969 for the TV: The Web of Fear. However, in AUDIO: The Web of Time, River Song acknowledges that due to the Doctor's long time spent on Earth during the seventies, UNIT had to create a whole new dating protocol due to numerous events happening several times in history.
- This is the immortal soul Intelligence also known as Yog-Sothoth. At some point in the 18th century, it possessed the Tibetan lama Padmasambhava while it was travelling the astral plane and forced him to build its Robot Yeti over the next two centuries.
- This novel tells not only the events of The Web of Fear, but it also acts as a prequel and sequel. It also references Captain Knight's other mission in Soho, which is depicted in The Web of Time. One potential setting for the events of The Web of Fear is early 1969.
- Captain Knight disappears briefly in Fear of the Web and goes to Soho, where he meets River, who must preserve his life in order for him to die in The Web of Fear as planned.
- One potential date given is October 1969.
- Set one year after The Web of Fear.
- The Intelligence plots revenge on Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.
- The Intelligence mentions being recently repelled from Earth.
- The Intelligence remembers UNIT.
- The Intelligence is scattered across the Doctor's time stream.
- The Great Intelligence is aware of the events of The Snowmen and Walter Simeon.