This page lists appearances of Sam Bishop in the order in which he experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
- According to Big Finish, Extinction is between The Power of Three and The Day of the Doctor. Josh Carter is a new recruit in Vanguard, placing this definitively as the start of the UTNS timeline. Shindi is injured fighting the Autons.
- The Antarctic winter won't end for another three weeks, setting this around August.
- Set one month after Square One.
- In Memory Alone is set several months after the end of Silent Majority. Sam Bishop claims that "Osgoods can't be duplicated", setting this before The Day of the Doctor. Shindi is no longer using a wheelchair.
- The events of Encounters are recent and Shindi makes reference to the Shakri cubes.
- Colonel Shindi is unfamiliar with the sight of flying Cybermen, while Osgood is thrilled to have survived meeting The Master, suggesting this takes place before Death in Heaven. The Master leaves UNIT with a parting gift, leading directly into Host of the Wirrn.
- After being called by Lady Christina de Souza, Sam cleans up after the Amber.
- Sam is leading the clean-up operation following the events of The Sontaran Project and refers to the fall of the Auctioneers, setting this after Cyber-Reality
- Sam Bishop recalls his previous encounter with Lady Christina in Portrait of a Lady. Sam and Jacqui McGee are familiar with one another.
- Osgood mentions the Sontaran incident, setting this after The Sontaran Project. The year is given as "20 odd years" after 1999, setting this story sometime around 2019.
- Sam mentions that they have survived Daleks and Cybermen, setting this after both Encounters and Cyber-Reality.
- UNIT knows little about River Song and Kate Stewart meets her for the first time, setting this before Day of the Doctor where UNIT know more about River and possess a picture of Kate and River together. Upon arriving in the past, Osgood notes that none of the car number plates go beyond 1973. She also mentions that she is "40-odd years" in the past, setting this story around 2013. However Kate also mentions that 2091 is 70 years in the future suggesting a 2021 setting. River says that 2091 is "nearly 80 years" in the future, and Osgood also mentions this, indicating an early 2010s setting.