This page lists appearances of the Rutan-Sontaran War in the order in which it occurred. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like its TV story counterparts that for each novel or audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in. This does not apply to short stories which are often ambiguous about their placement. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is in part based on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, as well as Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
- 1605 - GAME: The Gunpowder Plot
- 1872 - AUDIO: The First Sontarans
- 1941 - COMIC: The Instruments of War
- The Sontarans and the Rutans have been at war for only a few centuries, however they meet on a planet previously colonised by humans.
- Following the Second Dalek War, the Rutans succeed in destroying the Sontaran homeworld, Sontara. However, the Sontarans manage to survive with the assistance of the Seventh Doctor.
- The Fifth Doctor, accompanied by Adric, Nyssa and Tegan Jovanka, stumbles upon a Rutan weapon test field.