This page lists appearances of Leela in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based on observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events in each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like their TV story counterparts, that each novel or audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in[statement unclear]. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is based in part on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as DocOhoReviews, The History of the Doctor, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Databank, the Big Finish forums and The Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Travels with the Fourth Doctor Edit
- Following her banishment from the Sevateem tribe, Leela forces her way into the TARDIS, joining the Doctor in his travels.
- Though the book's blurb places this after The Robots of Death, Leela believes the TARDIS is possessed and the Doctor is highly irritated by her presence, setting this immediately after The Face of Evil.
- Leela visits Earth for the first time, although her experience there is erased from the timeline.
- The Doctor uses a Time Ring to send Leela back into his second incarnation's TARDIS. Leela's eyes are brown and she refers to the Doctor as "the Evil One" out of habit, setting this shortly after The Face of Evil.
- Leela has not heard of the Brigadier, setting this before The Revisionists.
- The secondary console room is still in use, setting this before The Invisible Enemy. Leela has only recently joined the Doctor, and fears she will be abandoned after angering him.
- The Doctor explains transdimensional engineering to Leela, and is happy to have her in his company. He claims to be 750-years-old.
- Leela feels that she has been travelling with the Doctor for a few days, and has not had much fresh air due to travelling "between boxes" since she left her tribe. She yearns to be outdoors again. She mentions the Storm Mine 4, setting this after The Robots of Death.
- The events of The Robots of Death are still fresh in Leela's mind.
- Though Leela is depicted dressed in her second attire, the book's cover places this between Last Man Running and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela still shows particularly violent tendencies, setting this early in her travels.
- Leela has never seen a horse before, setting this before The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela has only been traveling with the Doctor for a few weeks, but has seen spaceships.
- Leela is still new to traveling in the TARDIS, but has come to see the Doctor as part of her "tribe".
- Battling Magnus Greel in 1889 London, the Doctor and Leela are aided by Henry Gordon Jago and Professor George Litefoot.
- The Doctor and Leela have just parted ways with Jago and Litefoot, setting this immediately after The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela refers to the events of The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela has recently encountered horses, setting this shortly after The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela has not been to London since The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Ending leads directly into The Oseidon Adventure.
- The Doctor and the Master meet for the first time since The Deadly Assassin.
- Leela recalls the Victorian theatre from The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- In her travels with the Doctor, Leela has seen "false gods", metropolitan cities, and "Old Earth", but does not know about Christmas.
- The Doctor is currently using the secondary console room, setting this before it was disused in The Invincible Enemy. He indicates that he has had a recent encounter with the Master. Leela does not know about regeneration.
- The Doctor and Leela discuss their previous visit to London from The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Leela has a limited ability to read English.
- Leela is still wearing Victorian clothing from The Ghosts of Gralstead.
- Leela is still learning basic reading. She still does not know about regeneration.
- The TARDIS' secondary console room is damaged by the fire started in The Catalyst. Leela is unfamiliar with the concept of money.
- Leela is still learning from the Doctor, setting this early in her adventures with him.
- Leela views jeans as ridiculous, setting this before Horror of Fang Rock.
- The Doctor teaches Leela about money for the first time, setting this after Empathy Games.
- Leela is able to read on her own.
- Leela recalls her previous encounter with the Master in The Oseidon Adventure.
- Leela's reading level has advanced to the point where the Doctor is having her read him the works of Shakespeare. She also knows about policemen, setting this after The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Leela still has brown eyes, setting this before Horror of Fang Rock.
- The Doctor is using the secondary control room. He hears the Sixth Doctor's voice through the temporal distortion and decides to make an emergency landing after spilling his Ginger beer on the TARDIS console.
- The secondary console room is still in use, setting this before The Invisible Enemy.
- Due to pigment dispersal from witnessing an explosion, Leela's eye colour changes from brown to blue. She also wears jeans for the first time.
- Leela is wearing clothing similar to her clothes from Horror of Fang Rock.
- Leela is wearing trousers, setting this after Horror of Fang Rock.
- Leela is wearing jeans, setting this shortly after Horror of Fang Rock.
- Leela refers to the events of Horror of Fang Rock.
Adopting K9 Edit
- The Doctor closes the secondary console room for redecoration, and takes Leela to the main console room for the first time as he moves back in to it. Leela is still learning to write her name. K9 is adopted by the Doctor on Professor Marius's insistence.
- K9 takes damage from the drain on his batteries, as well as water damage from the canals, which gives him "corroded circuitry", leading into Image of the Fendahl.
- Leela has changed into a new set of clothes, and K-9 is suffering from "corroded circuitry".
- Leela recalls being temporarily blinded during Horror of Fang Rock.
- The Doctor and K9 begin playing chess, leading into The Sun Makers.
- Leela has changed back into her first outfit.
- Leela remembers seeing the steel hives of the Sun Makers during The Sun Makers.
- Set immediately after Requiem for the Rocket Men.
- Ending leads directly into Return to Telos.
- Leela and K9 are kidnapped by Adam Mitchell, leading directly into Endgame.
- The Doctor joins with his other incarnations to rescue Leela and K9 from Adam and the Master, and assists the other Doctors in saving their companions as well.
- Leela is once again wearing her second outfit.
- Leela is dressed in her second outfit with her hair down, setting this, and the rest of the seventh audio series, between Underworld and The Invasion of Time.
- Ending leads directly into The Demon Rises.
- Ending leads directly into The Age of Sutekh.
- The Doctor is gathering the parts needed to build K9 Mark II.
- After the Doctor uses his position of Lord President to propel an invasion of Gallifrey, Leela decides to stay on Gallifrey to marry Andred, and K9 elects to stay with her.
Life on Gallifrey Edit
- Although Leela is only referenced, K9 announces to K9 Mark II that Leela is pregnant with the first infant born on Gallifrey for millenia, and the father being Andred.
- K9 is living with Leela on Gallifrey.
- Romana and Leela meet for the first time.
- Leela is pregnant.
- Leela becomes Romana's bodyguard.
- Romana is president and calls Narvin a "CIA halfwit" behind his back, setting this before the two become good friends.
The Pandora virus and civil war Edit
Exploring other Gallifreys Edit
Living in Victoria London Edit
- Leela recognises the Sixth Doctor.
- Leela returns to Gallfirey.
Back on Gallifrey Edit
- Romana has sent Leela to investigate River Song after she impersonates the president.
- Leela recognises the Sixth and Eighth Doctors. Romana is president, setting this before Enemy Lines.
- Narvin recounts a story of an encounter with the Fourth Doctor to an unconscious Leela.
- Leela is kidnapped by the Nine.
The Last Great Time War Edit
- After Gallifrey's destruction, Leela ages rapidly.
- Leela dies.
- Leela is reborn as Emily after her death.