This page lists appearances of K9 Mark II in the order in which he experienced them. This timeline is based on observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events in each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like their TV story counterparts, that each novel or audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in.
The layout of this timeline is based in part on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as DocOhoReviews, The History of the Doctor, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Databank, the Big Finish forums and The Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Travels with the Doctor Edit
- The Doctor is still building parts of K9 MK II.
- The Doctor is illustrated as traveling with K9 in the TARDIS.
- In an alternate timeline created by Rassilon and the Cybermen, K9 is cyber-converted during a Cyberman attack.
Quest for the Key to Time Edit
- The Doctor is given a quest by the White Guardian to assemble the Key to Time before the Black Guardian can, and is assigned Romana as an assistant. The Doctor claims to be 756-years-old, but Romana tells him he is really 759-years-old.
- Romana is wearing her outfit from The Ribos Operation.
- Set the morning after The Ribos Operation, with the Doctor sealing away the First Segment.
- The Doctor takes Romana to Earth for the first time.
- Romana refers to the event of The Stones of Blood.
- The Doctor is taking a break from his quest.
- Throughout the Doctor Who Annual 1980, the Doctor is travelling with Romana I and K9, but is not trying to assemble the Key to Time, nor is he using the randomiser, setting these stories during the break from the quest that ended in Heart of TARDIS.
- The Doctor is forced to resume his quest for the Key to Time.
- The Doctor and Romana complete their quest to assemble the Key to Time, but the Doctor orders it to disperse itself to stop the Back Guardian getting it. The Doctor installs a randomiser into the TARDIS to elude the vengeful Black Guardian.
Further adventures with Romana Edit
- Ending leads directly into War Against the Laan.
- K9 is damaged after being affected by the time slippage.
- K9 is fully repaired from the damage caused a month prior by the time spillage in War Against the Laan.
- Romana encounters the Daleks for the first time. Ending leads directly into The Final Phase.
- Romana elects to continue travelling in the TARDIS instead of returning to Gallifrey.
- The Doctor arrived in Prague due to the randomizer, setting this after The Armageddon Factor.
The new Romana Edit
- Romana regenerates into a new body. K9 has robot Laryngitis.
- The Doctor, Romana and K-9 attend the Queen's re-coronation, and are spotted by the Brigadier.
- The Doctor, Romana and K-9 attend the Mars Conference, and have a run in with Bernice Summerfield.
- The book's blurb places this between The Creature from the Pit and Nightmare of Eden.
- The book's blurb places this after The Romance of Crime.
- The Doctor mentions recovering from the events of Nightmare of Eden.
- The Doctor acquires a chrono-historical stress gauge.
- The Doctor is still using the chrono-historical stress gauge from The Little Things.
- The Doctor's the chrono-historical stress gauge has been broken.
- Romana reveals she has her own sonic screwdriver.
- The Doctor and Romana are still worried about the Black Guardian's revenge, and Romana possess a sonic screwdriver, setting this after The Horns of Nimon.
- Ending leads directly into Legacy of Death.
- The events of Shada are overwritten by The Five Doctors, and later experienced by the Eighth Doctor. Upon returning to the TARDIS, the Doctor decides to go to Brighton. In the novelisation, set without the interference of The Five Doctors, the Doctor claims to be 760-years-old.
- Ending leads directly into Casualties of Time.
- The book's blurb places this between Shada and The Leisure Hive.
- Menlove Stokes remembers the Doctor from The Romance of Crime. The Black Guardian tracks the Doctor and Romana down, but is defeated and entrapped in the Time Vortex by the Doctor, but the Doctor and Romana also get trapped in the vortex in the ordeal.
Lone adventures with the Doctor Edit
- During the early Doctor Who Magazine issues, the Doctor is traveling with K9 Mark II without Romana, while wearing his bohemian clothing and having the randomiser activated. In Timeslip he expresses a desire to contact Romana, suggesting that the two have got separated by forces beyond their control.
- The Movellans appear in the Doctor's vision, implying that this takes place after Destiny of the Daleks.
- After capturing war criminal Beep the Meep, the Doctor offers Sharon Davies a trip home in the TARDIS.
- Set immediately after Doctor Who and the Star Beast, with the Doctor failing to return Sharon home.
- Sharon is forcibly aged by four years by a malfunctioning chrono-compensator. The Doctor claims to be losing track of his true age.
- The Doctor is able to return Sharon to Blackcastle, but she is uncertain if she wants to stay.
- Sharon, feeling her aging has made it impossible to return home, leaves the TARDIS to stay with Vernon Allen on Unicepter IV.
More adventures Edit
- The Doctor has changed his clothes to a burgundy design, and the randomiser is still in effect.
Final voyages in N-Space Edit
- The Doctor and K9 somehow reunite with Romana, and she resumes traveling with them.
- Romana is surprised that the Doctor is wearing a burgundy coat, feeling it reflects a more morose and sombre mood.
- The Doctor refers to the events of Doctor Who and the Iron Legion.
- Authorial intent places this story, and the rest of the Season 6 audios, before The Leisure Hive, with the Doctor wearing his burgundy clothing, the Randomiser still effect and the Season 18 theme tune being used.
- K9 goes on an absent in the rest of the Season 6 audios by this point.
- After switching his old clothes for a burgundy design, the Doctor decides to take Romana to Brighton, leading into The Leisure Hive.
- After a holiday in Brighton, the Doctor completely removes the randomiser to give it for the Tachyon Recreation Generator on Argolis. K9 is damaged after rolling into the sea without his sea water defences.
- After repairing K9, the TARDIS is contacted by the Time Lords, who order Romana back to Gallifrey.
Trapped in E-Space Edit
- En route to Gallifrey, the TARDIS gets sucked into E-Space, where Adric stows away on the TARDIS.
- Adric mentions the imprisonments he endured during The Invasion of E-Space and O, Darkness. The Doctor and Romana die, but, after some years, Adric is able to change time so that the Doctor and Romana live.
- As the Doctor and Adric escape E-Space, Romana elects to remain and help the enslaved Tharils release themselves from captivity, with K9 staying with her due to damage from the time winds preventing him from crossings back into N-Space.
- K9 is still in E-space with Romana.
Mistress Romana Edit
- Set soon after Zagreus.
- AUDIO: Square One
- AUDIO: The Inquiry
- AUDIO: A Blind Eye
- AUDIO: Lies
- AUDIO: Pandora
- AUDIO: Insurgency
- AUDIO: Imperiatrix
- AUDIO: Fractures
- AUDIO: Warfare
- AUDIO: Appropriation
- AUDIO: Mindbomb
- AUDIO: Panacea