This page lists appearances of Josh Carter in the order in which he experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
Early days at UNIT Edit
Shindi's Injury Edit
- According to Big Finish, Extinction is between The Power of Three and The Day of the Doctor. Josh is a new recruit in Vanguard, placing this definitively as the start of the UTNS timeline. Shindi is injured fighting the Autons.
- Osgood imagines the Eleventh Doctor visiting the Tower of London after allowing her mind to wander while showing Jay the thought projector, however it is left unclear as to whether or not she has met him.
- The Antarctic winter won't end for another three weeks, setting this around August.
- Shindi has recovered from his injury but is still using a wheelchair. Kate is doing extra weapons training following her encounter with Cerberus in UNIT: Shutdown. Shindi mentions that Osgood was away in Antarctica while he was recovering from his injury.
- Set one month after Square One.
- In Memory Alone is set several months after the end of Silent Majority. Sam Bishop claims that "Osgoods can't be duplicated", setting this before The Day of the Doctor. Shindi is no longer using a wheelchair.
Fighting the Silurians Edit
- Osgood believes that meeting Three Doctors at once would be a once in a lifetime experience, setting this before The Day of the Doctor.
Dealing With the Auctioneers Edit
- Jacqui McGee is now an established ally to UNIT, following the events of In Memory Alone. UNIT learn that a group known as the Auctioneers are selling alien technology on the black market.
- Invocation occurs during Halloween.
- The events of Encounters are recent and Shindi makes reference to the Shakri cubes.
- Colonel Shindi is unfamiliar with the sight of flying Cybermen, while Osgood is thrilled to have survived meeting The Master, suggesting this takes place before Death in Heaven. The Master leaves UNIT with a parting gift, leading directly into Host of the Wirrn.
- The Master's parting gift is revealed to be a Wirrn egg, which he took from the Auctioneers.
Further threats Edit
- Osgood mentions the Sontaran incident, setting this after The Sontaran Project. The year is given as "20 odd years" after 1999, setting this story sometime around 2019.
- Sam mentions that they have survived Daleks and Cybermen, setting this after both Encounters and Cyber-Reality.
- UNIT knows little about River Song and Kate Stewart meets her for the first time, setting this before Day of the Doctor where UNIT know more about River and possess a picture of Kate and River together. Upon arriving in the past, Osgood notes that none of the car number plates go beyond 1973. She also mentions that she is "40-odd years" in the past, setting this story around 2013. However Kate also mentions that 2091 is 70 years in the future suggesting a 2021 setting. River says that 2091 is "nearly 80 years" in the future, and Osgood also mentions this, indicating an early 2010s setting.
The Two Osgoods Edit
- Jacqui McGee recalls The Silence. UNIT has already lost one Osgood.