This page lists the appearances of John Benton in the order in which he experienced them.
UNIT career Edit
- RAF Lieutenant Mike Yates is asked to join UNIT, with a promotion from lieutenant to captain.
- The Doctor has yet to forgive the Brigadier for the outcome of Doctor Who and the Silurians. Corporal Benton has only recently been promoted to Sergeant.
- Liz has been working with UNIT for "a few months", and her complaints about her job here are similar to those that the Brigadier cites as her reason for leaving. The TARDIS console has also been removed from within the ship, as it was in The Ambassadors of Death.
- In an attempt to get his TARDIS working, the Doctor is transported to a different dimension, where the Earth is destroyed as a result of the Inferno Project. Returning to his own dimension before the destruction, the Doctor is able to prevent the Inferno Project from destroying it.
- Sergeant Mike Yates sees inside the TARDIS for the first time, and the Doctor mentions visiting the parallel universe from Inferno.
- Liz decides to leave UNIT.
- Liz officially leaves UNIT, Yates is promoted to from sergeant to captain, and the Doctor is in a new laboratory.
- Liz has just recently left UNIT.
- Set after Doctor Who and the Silurians.
- Liz is called back to UNIT, and has been absent long enough for the Doctor to admit missing her company.
- Set shortly before Terror of the Autons. The Doctor reprimands Sergeant Benton outside Jack Canning's office when he sees him dressed up like him.
- Jo Grant joins UNIT as the Doctor's new assistant, just in time for UNIT's first open battle with the Master. The Doctor steals a dematerialisation circuit from the Master's TARDIS, stranding his new enemy on Earth with him.
- Though the audio's blurb places it between The Dæmons and Day of the Daleks, Jo is still quite new to UNIT, and is unaware of the true nature of the TARDIS, setting this before The Claws of Axos.
- The Master reclaims his dematerialisation circuit, and promptly leaves in his TARDIS.
- The Master has a working TARDIS, setting this after The Mind of Evil.
- The Doctor hasn't seen the Master since Deadly Reunion.
- From a deal with the Master, the Doctor is able to restore his TARDIS back to working order, only to discover the Time Lords have programmed it to always return him to 20th century Earth.
- The Mega received advice from the Master, setting this after he got his TARDIS working in The Mind of Evil. The Nuton Power Complex is referenced, setting this after The Claws of Axos.
- After his failed escape attempt upon his defeat in Devil's End, the Master is arrested by UNIT.
- Set after the Master's arrest in The Dæmons.
- Set between The Dæmons and Day of the Daleks.[source needed]
- Set sometime after The Dæmons, and not long before The Face of the Enemy, as the Master is being held in Aylesbury Grange Detention Centre.
- Set between The Dæmons and The Sea Devils, as the Master is still in prison. The Brigadier mentions the Daleks, setting this after Day of the Daleks.
- Set concurrently with The Curse of Peladon.
- The Master changes the internal configuration of the Doctor's TARDIS, setting this after The Curse of Peladon, and before The Sea Devils, as the Master is sent to Fortress Island.
- The Master is said to be locked up on a secure island, setting this shortly before The Sea Devils.
- Set immediately after The Sea Devils.
- Set after The Sea Devils, as the Doctor is making a device to track the Master and Jo has encountered the Daleks.
- The events of The Mutants are mentioned.
- Set three years after Spearhead from Space. The Doctor lists his work for the Time Lords, with The Mutants being the last one he mentions. This is also where UNIT acquires the manor house seen in The Three Doctors.
- The Doctor and Liz spend some time together and reference her departure from UNIT, setting this after Primord. Supposedly set in January 1971.
- Jo recalls her recent encounter with Liz, setting this shortly after Primord.
- Jo comments on the TARDIS's new interior design, which the Doctor dismisses as a "redecoration".
- Ending leads directly into The Three Doctors.
- The Doctor's knowledge of time travel is restored to him as a reward for defeating Omega. However, he doesn't leave immediately, as he needs to fix up the TARDIS further.
- The Doctor has recently been to Spiridon, setting this after Planet of the Daleks.
- Set a week after Planet of the Daleks. The Doctor and Jo have spent the past few weeks trying and failing to get to Metebelis III.
- Jo is familiar with the Doctor entering comas, setting this after Planet of the Daleks.
- Jo demonstrates her growing environmental awareness, setting this after Come Friendly Bombs....
- Set between Planet of the Daleks and The Green Death.[source needed]
- Jo leaves UNIT, and the Doctor's company, to marry ecologist Professor Clifford Jones.
- Benton refers to the events of The Green Death.
- Benton encounters the Fifth Doctor while the Third is having a break from UNIT.
- Set before The Time Warrior.
- Sarah mentions her vacation in Sicily, setting this after The Ghosts of N-Space.
- Confronting the Great One of the Eight Legs, the Doctor receives a lethal dose of radiation, but is able to escape in the TARDIS. After the TARDIS finally lands back at UNIT HQ, the Doctor is able to regenerate into his next incarnation with assistance from K'anpo Rimpoche.
- The Doctor is using the secondary control room, setting this after The Masque of Mandragora.
- Both Benton and The Brigadier work for UNIT, setting this at least before the Brigadier's retirement in 1976.
The 21st century Edit
- Benton attends Bernice Summerfield's wedding in 2010.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.