This page lists appearances of Jamie McCrimmon in the order in which he experienced them. This timeline is based on observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events in each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is based in part on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as DocOhoReviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Database, the Big Finish forums, The Whoniverse and the Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Travels alongside Ben and Polly Edit
- The Doctor, Ben and Polly meet Jamie McCrimmon, who joins them aboard the TARDIS.
- Set immediately after The Highlanders, with Jamie marvelling at the sight of the TARDIS interior.
- Set immediately after The Underwater Menace. Ending leads directly into The Macra Terror.
- Ben and Polly are showing Jamie around the inside of the TARDIS.
- The Doctor recalls the events of The Yes Men. Polly still has short hair, setting this shortly after The Macra Terror.
- Set between The Macra Terror and The Faceless Ones. The Doctor has only recently regenerated.
- Set between Resistance and The Faceless Ones.[source needed]
- Jamie and Ben refer to the events of Resistance.
- Jamie refers to the events of the The Selachian Gambit.
- The Doctor is teaching his companions how to fly the TARDIS, and they recall the events of The Yes Men.
- Despite the events of The Feast, Ben and Polly claim this is their first visit to London in their past, suggesting this takes place before The Roundheads.
- Jamie has started to consider the TARDIS to be home, setting this late in his early travels.
- Having landed on the day they left, Ben and Polly decide to remain behind at Gatwick Airport. Ending leads directly into The Evil of the Daleks.
Joined by Victoria Edit
- After her father dies protecting him from the Daleks, the Doctor takes on the orphaned Victoria Waterfield as a companion.
- Victoria is introduced to the TARDIS, setting this immediately after The Evil of the Daleks. The Doctor tells her that he is "around 450-years-old" in Earth terms.
- Set in an aborted timeline during The Tomb of the Cybermen: Episode 1, when Jamie and Hayden entered the weapons testing room.
- Victoria has not fully accepted her new life aboard the TARDIS. She recalls visiting Telos, setting this shortly after The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- While authorial intent places this between The Web of Fear and Fury from the Deep , Victoria is still very new to seeing other time periods. The Doctor also gives Victoria a brief talk regarding the extraordinary nature of her new life as a time traveller, echoing the conversation that they had in The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- Victoria has only been travelling with the Doctor for a short time, setting this shortly after The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- The Doctor has not encountered a Yeti before, setting this before The Abominable Snowmen.
- Jamie tells Victoria he has not yet learned to write.
- Victoria is teaching Jamie to read, starting with letters.
- The Doctor still feels "new" to his body. Jamie has learned to write in English, albeit not very well.
- The Doctor meets Professor Edward Travers and faces the Great Intelligence for the first time at a Tibetan monastery.
- Jamie initially thinks that the TARDIS has only landed further up the Tibetan mountain, setting this immediately after The Abominable Snowmen.
Missions with Jamie Edit
- The TARDIS console room is still a mess from the previous landing in The Ice Warriors. Meeting another Time Lord called Pavo, the Doctor and Jamie are asked to visit Joinson Dastari, while Victoria decides to remain with Pavo to study graphology. The Doctor is given a Stattenheim remote control.
- Jamie gets his first look at the Stattenheim remote control, setting this before The Two Doctors. Since Jamie is not described as an adult, and considering the The Two Doctors follows directly on from World Game, with no plausible gap in between, this must occur during The Black Hole.
- The Doctor and Jamie leave a reminder for the Seventh Doctor. The Doctor has dark hair, and notes that Jamie has received an education during their travels together.
- After "a couple of weeks" of adventures, the Doctor and Jamie return for Victoria, and learn that "Pavo" was the Monk in disguise. After assisting the real Pavo in foiling the Monk's plan, the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria have their memories of the events erased.
Final adventures with Victoria Edit
- Set between The Ice Warriors and Enemy of the World, according to the back cover. The Doctor uses his new sonic screwdriver, which he had previously resolved to create in The Murder Game.
- The Doctor refers to the tropical beach as "a welcome change", setting this before The Enemy of the World.
- Set between The Ice Warriors and The Enemy of the World, according to the author's notes.
- Victoria sees an hallucination of her deceased father for the first time, setting this before Father Figure.
- Set immediately after The Enemy of the World. The Doctor has his first formal encounter with Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.
- Set during The Web of Fear: Episode 2. Depicts the moment the Doctor was introduced to Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart.
- Continues on from the ending of The Web of Fear: Episode 6.
- Set shortly after The Web of Fear, with London still recovering from the Yeti invasion.
- Victoria welcomes a peaceful change from "the horrors of the London Underground", referring to The Web of Fear.
- Set between The Web of Fear and Fury from the Deep. Upon learning that they are near Tibet, Jamie wonders if the TARDIS crew will encounter more of the Yeti from The Abominable Snowman.
- The Doctor is testing his new sonic screwdriver, setting this just before Fury from the Deep.
- Set on Earth, shortly before Fury of the Deep.
- After seeing far too much death in her travels, Victoria privately decides that she will leave the TARDIS soon.
- Victoria has been on the TARDIS for several months now, and starts thinking about leaving.
- Immediately after Twilight of the Gods, the Doctor reunites with an old Time Lord friend, who succumbs to his inner darkness and becomes the Master. Victoria decides that she shall leave the TARDIS at their next stop on Earth. Any story set on Earth where Victoria is considering leaving must take place before this story.
- Set shortly before Fury from the Deep.
- Having found a surrogate family, Victoria parts with the Doctor and Jamie.
Lone travels with the Doctor Edit
- All stories that feature Jamie as a young man, and which have the Doctor with little control over the TARDIS, must be set between Invasion of the Quarks and The Wheel in Space.
- Immediately after the events of Invasion of the Quarks, the Quarks attempt to take revenge on the Doctor and Jamie by sending Giant Wasps after them.
- Jamie is still affected by Victoria's departure, setting this shortly after Fury of the Deep.
- The Doctor addresses the whole world on television, leading him to be "known on the Earth", as would be referenced in The War Games.
- The Quarks make another attempt to kill the Doctor and Jamie following their failed attempt in The Killer Wasps.
- The Doctor knows that the Master hates him, setting this after The Dark Path. It is likely that this takes place after his travels with John and Gillian, to account for why the Doctor hasn't seen the Master for a "long time". According to Jamie, a long time has passed since The Highlanders.
Zoe joins the duo Edit
- Zoe Heriot hides aboard the TARDIS when it departs the Space Station W3 and joins the Doctor and Jamie in their travels.
- Set immediately after The Wheel in Space. The Doctor recounts the events of The Evil of the Daleks to Zoe.
- Set immediately after the The Evil of the Daleks repeat.
- Zoe is more "accustomed to breathing the canned atmosphere of the Space Wheel", setting this shortly after she stowed aboard the TARDIS.
- Zoe experiences uncertainty for the first time in her life, and Jamie notes that it has not been long since she joined the crew of the TARDIS, setting this near the start of her travels.
- Zoe is in her clothes from The Wheel in Space, and Jamie worries if the TARDIS is low on mercury again.
- Zoe and Jamie are wearing their clothes from The Wheel in Space.
- Zoe has only just recently joined the TARDIS crew, while Jamie estimates that he has been travelling with the Doctor for "two or three" years. The Doctor explains to Zoe what the Hostile Action Displacement System is, setting this before The Krotons.
- Zoe as only recently joined the TARDIS crew, and is wearing her silver cat suit for the first time.
- Zoe is wearing her silver cat suit.
- The Doctor and Zoe are forced to project their minds as part of assassination attempt by Atrika, possibly leading into The Dominators.
The Land of Fiction Edit
- Ending leads directly into The Mind Robber.
- Set during The Mind Robber.
- Set immediately after the TARDIS finishes rebuilding itself after The Mind Robber. According to Jamie, only a few weeks have passed since The Web of Fear. The Doctor is reunited with the newly promoted Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, and introduced to the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce. He also meets Corporal Benton for the first time.
- Set directly after The Invasion with the Doctor, Jamie, and Zoe observing the fallout of the destruction of the Cyberfleet before pursuing a sole surviving ship to Isos II.
- The TARDIS is being repaired after being damaged by its escape from the Land of Fiction.
- Set sometime after The Three Doctors, with the Doctor replacing his destroyed recorder.
A busy few weeks Edit
- Zoe refers to the recent events of The Dominators. Jamie has been travelling with the Doctor for "years now." Zoe's assimilation into the World Federation of Women may account for her sudden wardrobe change in The Krotons.
- Jamie mentions witnessing a volcanic eruption on Dulkis, setting this after The Invasion.
- Zoe is familiar with the Daleks, setting this after Fear of the Daleks. Jamie and Zoe aren't familiar with regeneration.
- Jamie and Zoe are wearing their outfits from The Krotons.
- The Doctor is repairing the HADS, setting this shortly after The Krotons.
- Jamie recalls the events of The Dominators.
- Set between The Krotons and The Seeds of Death.[source needed] Zoe is mentioned as having been separated from the Doctor and Jamie.
- Jamie mentions the Ice Warriors, and Zoe doesn't react to it, setting this before she encounters them in The Seeds of Death.
- Set between The Krotons and The Seeds of Death. The majority of this story is made up by Zoe based on a 150 year old foreign office report of the events in Uzbekistan, along with prompts given to her by Jen.
- Set before The Seeds of Death.[source needed]
- Set shortly before The Seeds of Death.[source needed]
- Before he was in the Multivarium, the Doctor was fighting the Ice Warriors on the Moon with Jamie and Zoe, setting this during The Seeds of Death.
- Jamie believes the TARDIS hasn't left London due to it landing during the rain, setting this immediately after The Seeds of Death.
- The TARDIS crew have recently encountered the Ice Lord Slaar, setting this shortly after The Seeds of Death.
- Zoe is mentioned to have stayed behind in the TARDIS.
- Set between The Seeds of Death and The Space Pirates, according to the back cover.
- Zoe recalls meeting the Krotons, setting this after The Krotons. Zoe is 16 years old, and claims to have "just started travelling with the Doctor".
- Set between The Seeds of Death and The Space Pirates.[source needed]
- Last of the Cybermen sets The Apocalypse Mirror between The Seeds of Death and The Space Pirates and after Echoes of Grey.
- Last of the Cybermen sets The Wheel of Ice immediately before The Space Pirates.
- The TARDIS crew have just left the LIZ 79, setting this immediately after The Space Pirates.
- The Doctor is switched with his sixth incarnation by the Monk. This adventure explicitly takes place a few weeks after The Isos Network, and a few days after The Space Pirates.
Final adventures with the Doctor and Zoe Edit
- Zoe has been travelling with the Doctor and Jamie for a few weeks.
- The events of The Seeds of Death are mentioned.
- Conversation about the vortex suggests that this is set after Vortex of Fear.
- Zoe recalls the events of The Invasion.
- The Doctor recalls the recently established UNIT, setting this after The Invasion.
- Jamie alludes to the events of The Mind Robber.
- The Doctor has faced the Krotons, setting this after The Krotons.
- Zoe mentions the T-Mat from The Seeds of Death. She and Jamie are kidnapped Adam Mitchell, leading directly into Endgame.
- The Doctor joins with his other incarnations to rescue Jamie and Zoe from Adam and the Master, and assists the other Doctors in saving their companions as well.
- Zoe has met the Ice Warriors, setting this after The Seeds of Death.
- Zoe has encountered the Ice Warriors, setting this after The Seeds of Death. Jamie references having visited space prisons, setting this after The Prison in Space.
- Set long after Year of the Drex Olympics, with the Venusian aikido skills the Doctor practiced having gone "rusty". Zoe recalls facing Cybermen, Ice Warriors and the Quarks.
- Jamie tells Provost Curtis that he has encountered Ice Warriors, Robot Yeti, and space pirates.
- Zoe mentions the Brigadier, setting this after The Invasion.
- Foreshadows The War Games.
- The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe are attempting to flee from the Time Lords.
- After Jamie and Zoe are returned home with their memories of him wiped, the Doctor stands trial before the Time Lords. His sentence is an exile to Earth in the 20th century and an enforced regeneration.
Home with memories wiped Edit
- Jamie is kidnapped by the Nine. He believes he has only met the Doctor once, setting this after his mindwipe in The War Games.
Reunited with the Doctor Edit
- All stories that feature Jamie as a young adult, and which has the Doctor in control of the TARDIS and able to remember afterwards, must be set during Season 6B.
- Jamie is wearing his clothes from The Two Doctors.
- Jamie still believes Victoria to be away on her graphology studies, as he said in The Two Doctors, but the Doctor is using his sonic screwdriver, which he didn't use until Victoria left in Fury from the Deep, thus placing this story in Season 6B.
- Set shortly after Helicon Prime.
- The Doctor has complete control of the TARDIS, placing this in Season 6B.
- The Doctor and Jamie are explicitly working for the Doctor's people.
After the Doctor Edit
- Jamie briefly remembers his travels with the Doctor, for long enough to recount the story of his trip to Helicon Prime.
- Set in the 1780s, Jamie is visited by an agent of the Celestial Intervention Agency. His memories of the Doctor temporarily restored, but chooses to have them wiped again.
- Reuniting with the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown, a much older Jamie gives his life to stop the Cybermen.
- ↑ https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-companion-chronicles-resistance-473
- ↑ https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-companion-chronicles-the-great-space-elevator-466
- ↑ https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-companion-chronicles-the-emperor-of-eternity-484
- ↑ https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-companion-chronicles-the-memory-cheats-503