This page lists appearances of Evelyn Smythe in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based on observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events in each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is generally assumed, much like their TV story counterparts, that each novel, comic or audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in.
The layout of this timeline is based in part on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as DocOhoReviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Databanks, the Big Finish forums, The Whoniverse and The Divergent Universe forum. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
- Evelyn meets the Sixth Doctor at Sheffield Hallam University. After she helps him save her family history, Evelyn insists on joining the Doctor on his travels, and the Doctor accepts her company.
- The Doctor has recently had a cold, caused by falling into the Thames in The Marian Conspiracy.
- The Doctor is aware that his status as Lord President has been revoked, and Evelyn encounters the Daleks for the first time.
- The Doctor switches his Technicolor frock coat for a blue coat. All stories with the Doctor wearing this coat must take place after this.
- The Doctor and Evelyn have just left the Clutch, setting this immediately after The Sandman.
- Evelyn is familiar with the Daleks, and recalls being on board a Dalek spaceship, setting this after Jubilee. The Doctor's need to warn her to play along with their out-of-sequence meeting with Newton suggests this takes place early in her travels.
- Sequel story to Project: Twilight. The tension between the Doctor and Evelyn on the death of Cassandra Schofield leads directly into Arrangements for War.
- The Doctor recalls meeting his successor during The Sirens of Time. Evelyn tells Rossiter about the recent events from Doctor Who and The Pirates and Project Lazarus.
- Evelyn has witnessed the Doctor falling into the River Thames twice before, setting this after Project: Twilight.
- The Doctor has his first confrontation with Dr. Robert Knox.
- Evelyn refers to her encounter with Dr. Robert Knox from Medicinal Purposes and the Doctor wears his technicolour coat.
- The Doctor hasn't had a sonic screwdriver since his fifth incarnation.
- Evelyn refers to her encounters with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart from My Own Private Wolfgang.
- The Doctor spends one hundred years travelling in the TARDIS with Evelyn, Jacob, Mary, and Peter Williams, while they recover from being frozen in time. Once they are unfrozen, the Doctor and Evelyn return the Williams family home.
- Evelyn is familiar with Gallifreyan politics, setting this after The Apocalypse Element. The Sixth Doctor once believed that his life would be "short, but sweet".
- Evelyn has made a habit of jumping from trains, setting this after The Nowhere Place.
- The first of the Doctor's thirteen Technicolor coats are destroyed in an explosion. Evelyn refers to the time she and the Doctor had to swim the Thames in Project: Twilight. The Doctor meets Flip Jackson and Jared Ramon on Symbios after a London tube train slips through a temporal fissure, and has his first meeting with DI Patricia Menzies. Thomas Brewster, in a desperate attempt to return to his own time, sneaks into the TARDIS and holds the Doctor and Evelyn at gunpoint, leading directly into The Feast of Axos.
- The Doctor and Evelyn manage to disarm Brewster, and the Doctor refuses to return Brewster home, as using his future knowledge would cause chaos and anarchy. Brewster demands that the Doctor takes him back to his own time, leading into Industrial Evolution.
- Brewster is returned to Victorian Lancashire by the Doctor and Evelyn, however they stick around for several weeks to investigate the brass mill.
- The Doctor is wearing his blue coat.
- Evelyn meets Melanie Bush.
- Evelyn dies.