This page lists appearances of the Dodo Chaplet in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like its TV story counterparts that for each novel, comic story and audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in. This does not apply to short stories which are often ambiguous about their placement. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is in part based on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, as well as information in Lance Parkin's AHistory which allow us to make observations on placement of stories, such as Doctor Who Reviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Databank, the Big Finish forums, The Whoniverse and the Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Additionally there are statements on the back of Virgin Missing Adventures and BBC Past Doctor Adventures novels that state between which TV stories the novel takes place between. These can be used to narrow the field, and should be viewed as the only placing for these novels.
Meeting the Doctor and Steven Edit
- After storming out of the TARDIS due to an argument with the Doctor, Steven returns immediately after Dodo Chaplet walks into the TARDIS, joining the two in their travels.
- Dodo takes her first trip in the TARDIS, setting this immediately after The Massacre.
- Dodo takes her first trip into the future. Ending leads directly into The Celestial Toymaker.
- Ending leads directly into The Gunfighters.
- Steven voices his surprise that the Doctor wants another holiday so soon after The Gunfighters.
- Only a few days have passed since The Celestial Toymaker.
- Steven mentions Tombstone, setting this after The Gunfighters.
- Steven mentions the events of Mother Russia. Steven and the Doctor discuss Steven leaving the TARDIS.
- Steven decides that the next place the TARDIS lands is where he wants to make a lasting impression, setting this immediately before The Savages.
- Steven leaves the TARDIS to mediate a peace between the Elders and the Savages.
After Steven Edit
- Steven's departure is a recent event, but the Doctor and Dodo have had several adventures since he left.
- Set a few months after The Celestial Toymaker. The Doctor is aware he will regenerate soon.
- Dodo is more wounded and mistrustful of the Doctor, setting this after The Man in the Velvet Mask.
- The Doctor and Dodo battle WOTAN and the War Machines with Polly Wright and Ben Jackson. The Doctor's battle with WOTAN causes Dodo to have a breakdown, and he sends her to the country to recuperate, where she decides to stay.
After the Doctor Edit
- In another account, an older Dodo bumps into Sarah Jane Smith.
- Following on from the account in Ships, Dodo later attends the funeral of Sarah Jane.