This page lists appearances of the Coal Hill defenders entrusted with the protection of Coal Hill Academy by the Twelfth Doctor. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
Coming together Edit
- The Coal Hill defenders form after the Shadow Kin attack the Coal Hill Academy prom via the Coal Hill Space-Time Rift looking for the Cabinet of Souls. April MacLean shares a heart with Corakinus as a result of the attack. The Twelfth Doctor arrives to help the defenders and set them on course to fight off further incursions in the future.
- Quill refers to the headteacher as being a he on Day 5, suggesting that the first five (not necessarily continuous) days of this story are set before The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo. Charlie and Matteusz are spending time together in Charlie's house, but it is unclear if this indicates placement. Quill still has the Arn in her head, setting this before The Metaphysical Engine or What Quill Did.
- We see on Charlie's computer that the day of the confrontation with Coach Dawson is a Thursday. This story takes place over 4 distinct and consecutive days, so it must begin on Monday.
- We know from a poster in For Tonight We Might Die that the Autumn Prom took place on Friday, 14 October, during which Rachel Chapman died.
- Varun Singh says in this episode that it's been a week since she disappeared. Exactly a week after Prom would be 21 October, but that's a Friday, because the 14th was a Friday. Three days later is 24 October, the only Monday on which Varun could possibly say it's been a week since Prom. Thus, this story takes place between Monday 24 and Thursday 27 October.
- The Coal Hill defenders have not seen Ram since the events of For Tonight We Might Die. Ram is still recovering from the loss of Rachel and his leg, while the other defenders are adjusting to the existence of the space-time rift. Mr Armitage is killed by the Leaf Dragon.
- Set explicitly on Halloween.
- A few weeks have passed since For Tonight We Might Die. Ram recalls the events of The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo. Coal Hill Academy is currently in between head teachers, setting this before Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart and Matteusz does not yet live with Charlie setting this before Nightvisiting.
Defending Coal Hill Edit
- It is the second anniversary of the death of Tanya's father, who died in 2014. Ram and April share their first kiss after defeating the Lankin.
- We see on Ram's computer that the day is a Thursday. Ram also states the Lankin is "not even the third weirdest thing [he's] seen this month". This means the only time the episode could take place is the Thursday after the conclusion of The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo which falls on 3 November. At around the mid point of the episode we see the time on Ram's phone is close to midnight meaning that the end of the episode ran into Friday morning.
- Matteusz has moved in with Charlie, and April and Ram have started dating, setting this after Nightvisiting. Quill wonders if her students have been replaced again, setting this after Joyride. Charlie and Matteusz are comfortable being intimate via their mobile phones, setting this prior to events within What She Does Next Will Astound You. Events take place across five consecutive days, Monday to Friday (the second day explicitly noted as a Tuesday).
- Tanya has given up trying to hack the Pentagon, setting this after The Stone House.
- Matteusz has recently been kicked out by his parents, setting this shortly after Nightvisiting. Ram and April are a couple. After Now You Know, as Tanya is now happy to assist Matteusz with homework when he needs help. Ram says he hasn't seen Tanya for some time, so has to be somewhat distanced from other stories they both interact in.
- A few weeks have passed since The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo. Matteusz is living with Charlie and Quill, setting this after Nightvisiting. April recalls how aliens have "literally" driven a bus through her normal life and Ram notes how he's become more conscious of what April thinks of him recently. Implied to be a Monday.
- Ram visits Neil in hospital, and speaks with Neil's Mum. Occurs several days after end of Chapter 4, up to as late as that Sunday.
- Some time has passed since Neil's accident. Many more videos have been added to truthordare.com. Seraphin is sponsored by truthordare.com for the first time and kidnapped. Prior to Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart, as Ram and April are not solid in their relationship.
- Charlie and Matteusz, and Ram and April are couples. Charlie and Matteusz live together, setting this after Nightvisiting. Presumably before Tell Me You Love Me, as Charlie is notably surprised to hear Matteusz say that he loves him.
- Charlie and Matteusz have recently admitted that they love each other, setting this shortly after Nightvisiting. Quill still has the Arn in her head, setting this before The Metaphysical Engine, or What Quill Did. Occurs on a Friday afternoon.
- After Stone House, as that story has Quill mention Daleks but she makes no indication that she has ever encountered one.
- Some time has passed since the previous chapters, at least a month after Seraphin is kidnapped (which occurs after Chapter 10). Many more videos have been added to truthordare.com. Ram's phone is stolen, and the following day, his messages are posted online. Must be after The Stone House, as Charlie and Matteusz end up uncomfortable being intimate via their mobile phones and make an agreement to not do so anymore.
- Explicitly occurs on a Monday.
- Dorothea Ames replaces the recently deceased Mr Armitage as head of Coal Hill Academy. Quill has been on Earth for a few months now. April gains significant powers from her connection to Corakinus and even heals her mother's paralysis. Ending leads directly into Brave-ish Heart.
- Ram and April have known each other for a month (thus it can be presumed that the story is taking place late November-early December 2016). April becomes King of the Shadow Kin. Dorothea Ames agrees to arrange for the Arn to be removed from Quill's head after school on the following Monday.
- Soon after Chapter 22. Quill suggests in Chapter 42 that she is aware of another way for her and Charlie to live, implying that this comes after Dorothea's deal with Quill in Brave-ish Heart about removing the Arn. Authorial intent concurs that the majority of events take place between Brave-ish Heart and Detained.
- Ram mentions meeting Shadow Kin, dragons and grief monsters, setting this after Nightvisiting. The current headteacher of Coal Hill Academy is a woman, potentially suggesting a post-Brave-ish Heart setting. April begins composing The Lost.
- Ram and April are dating and Tanya mentions the new headteacher, setting this after Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart. The events of Nightvisiting were a few weeks ago. Tanya mentions that mock exams are upcoming, setting this before Mock
- Quill still has the Arn in her head, setting this before The Metaphysical Engine or What Quill Did. The Headteacher of Coal Hill Academy is a woman, setting this after Brave-ish Heart.
Falling apart Edit
- The Defenders confess their secrets to each other due to the influence of a mysterious asteroid, leading to them falling out. Set concurrently with The Metaphysical Engine, or What Quill Did. Occurs, at most, a week after Brave-ish Heart.
- Quill travels with Dorothea and Ballon in a Metaphysical engine in order to collect the items necessary for the removal of her Arn. The Arn is successfully removed and Quill becomes pregnant with Ballon's child. Set concurrently with Detained.
- Set during Quill's hibernation between The Metaphysical Engine or What Quill Did and The Lost. The Metaphysical engine causes Quill's fever dream to manifest in physical form. Charlie mentions that he hasn’t spoken to the rest of the gang for a few days since Detained. Quill wakes up from her hibernation, leading directly into The Lost.
- A week has passed since Detained and The Metaphysical Engine, or What Quill Did. In the interim Quill has been in hibernation and the rest of the defenders have avoided each other. A few months have passed since For Tonight We Might Die. Charlie kills April in order to defeat Corakinus, however she is resurrected in his body due to their shared heart by the Cabinet of Souls.