This page lists appearances of Charley Pollard in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like its TV story counterparts that for each novel or audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in. This does not apply to short stories which are often ambiguous about their placement. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is in part based on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, as well as Lance Parkin's AHistory and other sources that allow us to make observations, such as The Whoniverse, Doctor Who Reviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks databanks, two Big Finish forums and the Divergent Universe forum. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Travels with the Eighth Doctor Edit
A broken Web of Time Edit
- Landing on the doomed airship R101, the Doctor violates the Laws of Time by saving the life of stowaway Charley Pollard, and takes her aboard the TARDIS as his new companion. The TARDIS has its Victorian parlour interior design.
- Charley has only been travelling with the Doctor for a few days. The recent events of Sword of Orion are mentioned.
- Charley isn't familiar with the TARDIS translation circuits, setting this before The Light at the End.
- Charley recalls the events of Sword of Orion. She has only been travelling with the Doctor for a few weeks, but has already realised that she has fallen in love with him.
- The Doctor and Charley have just left Venice, setting this immediately after The Stones of Venice. "Sam" is listed as one of the Doctor's former companions by Gideon Crane, either referencing Sam Jones or Samson Griffin. Charley sees a television for the first time.
- Charley still has the black eye and bruises she acquired in Minuet in Hell.
- Charley is still uncomfortable with wearing clothing that shows more flesh than she's used to, setting this during her early travels with the Doctor.
- The Doctor is traveling with Charley, but she is at a disco during this adventure.
- Set over the course of nine days. Calabria has met Charley on several occasions, suggesting that Charley has been traveling with the Doctor for a while.
- Charley recalls meeting the Brigadier in Minuet in Hell.
- The Doctor learns that Orson Welles is ignorant of William Shakespeare's identity, that there are forty-nine states in the USA, and that the Central Intelligence Agency are active in 1947. The Doctor decides to take Charley to Singapore.
- Charley still wants to get to Singapore, however the Doctor decides to let the TARDIS take them to where it wants to go, citing that he has been too methodical recently and that they will get to Singapore eventually.
- Authorial intents places this between The Chimes of Midnight and Seasons of Fear.
- Authorial intent places this "sometime during the second series of Charlotte Pollard Eighth Doctor adventures". Charley does not know about regeneration.
- Charley recalls the events of Seasons of Fear. The Doctor is becoming unable to deny the truth about the effect that Charley's paradoxical survival is having on the Universe.
- Charley mentions the events of Seasons of Fear.
- The Doctor is using a brand new model of sonic screwdriver, setting this after The Flood. He also sees a flotilla of Type 70 TARDISes in the Time Vortex.
- The Toymaker refers to people from Invaders from Mars, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, and Embrace the Darkness.
- Charley has an idea of what regeneration is and knows that her survival on the R101 has affected the Web of Time, setting this after Seasons of Fear.
- The Doctor uncovers why Welles didn't know of Shakespeare in Invaders from Mars.
- The Doctor and Charley are returning William Shakespeare home, setting this immediately after The Time of the Daleks.
- Set after The Time of the Daleks, with the Doctor having just returned William Shakespeare home.
- The Doctor and Charley go back in time to kill a dictator as a baby. However, the Doctor gets caught in the act before he can strike a fatal blow, and has to be rescued by his fourth incarnation, though he succeeds in showing the mother how to properly care for the baby. Charley seems comfortable with the Doctor's methods, placing this closer to Neverland.
- The Doctor uncovers the cause of the time disruptions from Invaders from Mars, Seasons of Fear and The Time of the Daleks, and discovers why there were Type 70 TARDISes in the Time Vortex during Embrace the Darkness; Charley has become a portal into a world of anti-time, causing cracks in the Web of Time. Ending leads directly into Zagreus. It is Charley's nineteenth birthday and she and the Doctor have been travelling together for six months.
- Fighting off an infection of anti-time, the Doctor is exiled to the Divergent Universe by Romana, with Charley following him. Rassilon leaves the Matrix, setting this after The Final Chapter.
Exiled in the Divergent Universe Edit
- Set immediately after Zagreus, with the Doctor and Charley adjusting to their new environment in the Divergent Universe. They also get separated from the TARDIS.
- The Doctor is on a quest to find Rassilon and the TARDIS.
- The Doctor recovers his TARDIS.
- The anti-time is completely purged from the Doctor by Rassilon. The Doctor, Charley and C'rizz escape the Divergent Universe to N-Space, and run into Davros, leading directly into Terror Firma.
Return to the main universe Edit
- During an encounter with Davros, the Doctor saves Samson from Davros's control, but is unable to save Gemma, who is killed.
- C'rizz has never been to Earth before, setting this before Salva Mea and Other Lives. The Heroine, the Hero and the Megalomaniac is considered a recent happening for the Doctor.
- Charley has been travelling with the Doctor for "years", setting this late in her travels with the Doctor. C'rizz is absent, with no mention as to why.
- Charley has been kidnapped by the Nine, during a time when she was travelling with the Doctor and C'rizz.
- C'rizz sacrifices his life saving the Doctor from the Absolver, leaving Charley with a desire to leave the Doctor's company, leading directly into The Girl Who Never Was.
- According to the Doctor, three-to-four subjective years have passed since he met Charley in Storm Warning. During a fight with the Cybermen, the Doctor is separated from Charley when the TARDIS' HADS is activated in a collapsing Cyber-ship. Due to the Cybermen's attempt to convert him, the Doctor's memories are too scrambled for him to remember Charley's fate.
Travels with the Sixth Doctor Edit
- The TARDIS seemingly returns to Charley only for her to be met by "someone else".
- The Sixth Doctor reluctantly takes Charley on as his companion.
- Charley has only recently joined the Doctor on his travels.
- The Doctor has yet to meet Sigmund Freud.
- Charley refers to the fictional highwaymen from The Doomwood Curse and the Marxist Daleks from Brotherhood of the Daleks.
- The Doctor and Charley have been travelling together for weeks.
- Set immediately after The Avenues of Possibility. The Doctor and Charley decide to investigate the source of the temporal distortions.
- Charley realises that when she eventually does tell the Doctor the truth about her identity, she will have to to leave him.
- The Doctor and Charley consider the events of Return of the Krotons to be a recent happening.
- After she contracts a virus, the Doctor puts Charley in the Zero Room while he tries to locate the source of the virus, and thus a cure. After taking many years searching for a cure, the Doctor traces the virus to the Amethyst Viral Containment Station. While he confronts the Daleks, Charley awakens from her coma and is replaced in existence by Mila.
- While under the guise of Charley, Mila has already been travelling with the Doctor for some time before she is killed. In order to preserve future events, Charley has the Viyrans edit the Doctor's memory so that his memories of his time with her are replaced with the memory of Mila, as well as a more peaceful departure for her in place of her death.
After the Doctor Edit
- Charley recalls a previous adventure with the Sixth Doctor to the Viyrans. She reveals that she travelled with the Sixth Doctor for a few months in total.