This page lists appearances of Ben Jackson and Polly Wright in the order in which they experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed, much like its TV story counterparts that for each novel, comic story and audio series their published/numbered order is the order they occur in. This does not apply to short stories which are often ambiguous about their placement. There are also many gaps between stories.
The layout of this timeline is in part based on the observations on Doctor Who Reference Guide and Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures, as well as information in Lance Parkin's AHistory which allow us to make observations on placement of stories, such as Doctor Who Reviews, The History of Doctor Who, The Discontinuity Guide, Clive Banks Databank, the Big Finish forums, The Whoniverse and the Divergent Universe forums. None of these sources should be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Additionally there are statements on the back of Virgin Missing Adventures and BBC Past Doctor Adventures novels that state between which TV stories the novel takes place between. These can be used to narrow the field, and should be viewed as the only placing for these novels.
Travels with the First Doctor Edit
- After informing the Doctor of Dodo's decision to stay behind, Ben and Polly board the TARDIS while attempting to return the Doctor's spare key, leading directly into The Smugglers.
- Ben and Polly take their first journey in the TARDIS, and the Doctor accepts their company.
- Set immediately after The Smugglers. Time briefly becomes distorted.
- Ben is wearing his sailor outfit from The Smugglers.
- The Doctor comments that he shall soon feel a whole new person, referring to his upcoming regeneration.
- Ben and Polly have been travelling with the Doctor for some time now, and the Doctor has been making comments about his body "wearing thin" often. The Doctor agrees to take Allie Kay with him in the TARDIS until they can find him a suitable home.
- The time distortions are revealed to be caused by the Daleks trying to invade the First Doctor's timeline and prevent his regeneration at the South Pole. The Player is able to prevent the Daleks' victory, setting things up for The Tenth Planet.
- Ben and Polly are woken up in the night by a nightmare. An older Polly recalls how this was her last trip in the TARDIS before The Tenth Planet.
- The TARDIS lands at the South Pole. During an encounter with the Cybermen, the Doctor collapses. With much of his life force having been absorbed by the planet Mondas, the Doctor begins to regenerate into his next incarnation.
- Ben & Polly are seen in a recap of The Tenth Planet: Episode 4.
Travels with the Second Doctor Edit
A New Doctor Edit
- Set immediately after The Tenth Planet, with the Doctor adjusting to his new body as he faces the Daleks on Vulcan.
- Whilst leaving Vulcan, the Doctor, Ben and Polly briefly encounter an apparition of a Charley Pollard from an alternate timeline.
- The Doctor has only just regenerated, and is mourning the loss of his old signet ring.
- Set almost immediately after The Power of the Daleks, with Ben finally accepting the Doctor's change of appearance.
- The Doctor's memory is still hazy after his regeneration, setting this shortly after The Power of the Daleks
- References are made to the Doctor's recent regeneration.
- The Doctor claims this is the first time the TARDIS has ever managed a short hop.
- Three weeks have passed since The Power of the Daleks.
- The Doctor creates a temporary sonic device, and resolves to begin work on a permanent version when he gets back to the TARDIS, leading to the creation of the sonic screwdriver.
- Ben and Polly are well adjusted to the Second Doctor, setting this shortly before The Highlanders. The Doctor says that he has not been in America for some time, setting this before Wonderland as well.
- The Doctor unlocks a door with a prototype sonic screwdriver, setting this after The Murder Game.
Joined by Jamie Edit
- The Doctor, Ben and Polly meet Jamie McCrimmon, who joins them aboard the TARDIS.
- Set immediately after The Highlanders, with Jamie marvelling at the sight of the TARDIS interior.
- Set immediately after The Underwater Menace. Ending leads directly into The Macra Terror.
- In an alternate timeline created by Rassilon and the Cybermen, the Doctor is partially converted into a Cyberman during The Moonbase.
- Ben and Polly are showing Jamie around the inside of the TARDIS.
- The Doctor recalls the events of The Yes Men. Polly still has short hair, setting this shortly after The Macra Terror.
- Set between The Macra Terror and The Faceless Ones. The Doctor has only recently regenerated.
- Set between Resistance and The Faceless Ones.
- Jamie and Ben refer to the events of Resistance.
- Jamie refers to the events of the The Selachian Gambit.
- The Doctor is teaching his companions how to fly the TARDIS, and they recall the events of The Yes Men.
- Despite the events of The Feast, Ben and Polly claim this is their first visit to London in their past, suggesting this takes place before The Roundheads.
- Jamie has started to consider the TARDIS to be home, setting this late in his early travels.
- Having landed on the day they left, Ben and Polly decide to remain behind at Gatwick Airport.
After the Doctor Edit
- In 1966, Ben proposes to Polly.
- Set "a few years" after Polly stopped travelling with the Doctor.
- Polly attends a cricket match with her husband in 1981.
- Ben and Polly reunite in 1986.
- Set in 1999. After marrying other people and becoming both widowed, Ben and Polly reunite.
- Polly meets the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster in 2009.
- Ben and Polly are moving house.
- Ben and Polly attend the funeral of Sarah Jane Smith.
- Ben and Polly, the latter of whom is wearing his sailor uniform, kidnapped by Adam Mitchell among companions of the Doctor but are soon freed by Frobisher. Leads into Endgame.
- The first eleven Doctors rescue their companions from Adam and the Master.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found