This page lists appearances of April MacLean in the order she experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic, audio or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
Saved from the Shadow Kin Edit
- Set 12 - 14 October 2016. The Coal Hill Academy prom is attacked by the Shadow Kin, looking for the Cabinet of Souls, and April is left sharing a heart with Corakinus. The Twelfth Doctor arrives to help stop them and then assigns April and her classmates to fight off further invasions via the space-time tears.
- A week has passed since For Tonight We Might Die and April has not spoken to Ram since then. April witnesses the death of Mr Armitage as the result of an attack of the Leaf Dragon.
- Set explicitly on Halloween. She follows Quill and Matteusz, when they go to investigate the house.
- A few weeks have passed since For Tonight We Might Die. Ram recalls the events of The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo. Coal Hill Academy is currently in between head teachers, setting this before Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart and Matteusz does not yet live with Charlie setting this before Nightvisiting.
Defending Coal Hill Edit
- April and Ram have started dating, and Matteusz has moved in with Charlie, setting this after Nightvisiting. Quill wonders if her students have been replaced again, setting this after Joyride. Charlie and Matteusz are comfortable being intimate via their mobile phones, setting this prior to events within What She Does Next Will Astound You. Events take place across five consecutive days, Monday to Friday (the second day explicitly noted as a Tuesday).
- After April talks to Tanya, Charlie reminds Tanya that Matteusz has recently been kicked out by his parents, setting this shortly after Nightvisiting.
- April and the rest of the defenders notice the prevalence of the dares. Some time has passed since Neil's accident in previous chapters. Many more videos have been added to truthordare.com. Seraphin is sponsored by truthordare.com for the first time and kidnapped. Prior to Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart, as Ram and April are not solid in their relationship.
- Charlie and Matteusz, and Ram and April are couples, setting this after Nightvisiting.
- Some time has passed since the previous chapters, at least a month after Seraphin is kidnapped (which occurs after Chapter 10). Many more videos have been added to truthordare.com. Ram's phone is stolen, and the following day, his messages are posted online. Must be after The Stone House, as Charlie and Matteusz end up uncomfortable being intimate via their mobile phones and make an agreement to not do so anymore.
- Dorothea Ames replaces the recently deceased Mr Armitage as head of Coal Hill Academy. April gains significant powers from her connection to Corakinus and even heals her mother's paralysis. Ending leads directly into Brave-ish Heart.
- Ram and April have known each other for at least a month (thus it can be presumed that the story is taking place late November-early December 2016). April becomes King of the Shadow Kin. Dorothea Ames agrees to arrange for the Arn to be removed from Quill's head after school on the following Monday.
- April is put into the pocket dimension by the Organisation to fight the Skandis. Soon after Chapter 22. Quill suggests in Chapter 42 that she is aware of another way for her and Charlie to live, implying that this comes after Dorothea's deal with Quill in Brave-ish Heart about removing the Arn. Authorial intent concurs that the majority of events take place between Brave-ish Heart and Detained.
- Ram mentions meeting Shadow Kin, dragons and grief monsters, setting this after Nightvisiting. The current headteacher of Coal Hill Academy is a woman, potentially suggesting a post-Brave-ish Heart setting. April begins composing The Lost.
- Ram and April are dating and Tanya mentions the new headteacher, setting this after Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart. The events of Nightvisiting were a few weeks ago. Tanya mentions that mock exams are upcoming, setting this before Mock.
- April is present for the mock exam. Quill still has the Arn in her head, setting this before The Metaphysical Engine or What Quill Did. The Headteacher of Coal Hill Academy is a woman, setting this after Brave-ish Heart.
Falling apart Edit
- The Defenders confess their secrets to each other due to the influence of a mysterious asteroid, leading to them falling out. Set concurrently with The Metaphysical Engine, or What Quill Did. Occurs, at most, a week after Brave-ish Heart.
- A week has passed since Detained. In the interim, Quill has been in hibernation and April has not spoken with any of the other defenders. A few months have passed since For Tonight We Might Die. Charlie kills April in order to defeat Corakinus, however she is resurrected in his body due to their shared heart by the Cabinet of Souls.