Theatre of War was the seventh story in Big Finish Productions' Novel Adaptations range. It was adapted from the novel of the same name by Justin Richards and featured Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace and Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Years ago, an archaeological expedition came to Menaxus to explore the ruins of an ancient theatre. All but one of the team died. Now the only survivor has returned, determined to uncover the theatre's secrets.
But then the deaths begin again.
The Doctor, Ace and Benny find themselves caught up in the very real events of Shakespeare's greatest play. When they finally reach the theatre on Menaxus, the Doctor begins to realise that the truth about the planet may be far stranger than anyone imagined. With Benny doing research at the Braxiatel Collection, the Doctor and Ace head straight into an interplanetary war...
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Bernice Summerfield - Lisa Bowerman
- Irving Braxiatel - Miles Richardson
- Lannic - Kirsty Besterman
- Gilmanuk - Richard Vranch
- Fortalexa - Ed Stoppard
- The Exec - Bryan Dick
- Marlock - Ramon Tikaram
- Krane - Gus Brown
- Jorvik - Milo Twomey
References[edit | edit source]
- Plays performed on Menaxus include Hamlet, The Myth of Artificial Intelligence and The Good Soldiers.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This is the first of two novel adaptations to have been adapted by its original author. The second was Cold Fusion.
- In the interviews section, Richards says he wrote the adaptation freshly from his original outline, rather than adapting dialogue from the original novel itself.
- In the interviews, Aldred says that this is "early Ace" and she therefore plays her as younger, but that Ace's character in the story has still "come a long way."
- This story was recorded on 4 and 7 June 2015 at The Moat Studios.
Deviations from the original novel[edit | edit source]
- In the novel, Benny travels to Menaxus on a break from her travels in the TARDIS, and is only later joined by Ace and the Doctor. In the audio, she comes there with the Doctor and Ace. This is how it was in Richards' original proposal, but was altered to tie-in with events from Legacy.
- While the original novel was set in 3985, in the audio Benny and Gilmanuk are already acquainted, implying that it is set in Benny's home time period.
- No reference is made to Braxiatel's familial relationship with the Doctor.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Romana previously mentioned the Braxiatel Collection. (TV: City of Death)
- The Doctor says that the animated stone creatures feel familiar, but is unsure why. (TV: Blink) During his fifth incarnation, he previously encountered the Weeping Angels in Rome in 1511. (AUDIO: Fallen Angels)
- Braxiatel hints that he has previously met Bernice, although this is the first time she has met him. (AUDIO: Disassembled)
[edit | edit source]