There's one place in creation where the truth really can be found in the bottom of a glass — Bianca's, a very special and very exclusive little club.
The Doctor, careworn and seeking quiet distraction, gains admission. But his rest and relaxation is soon shattered by the wobbly arrival of louche trans-temporal adventuress Iris Wildthyme. She claims she's on a secret mission of vital importance, the success of which hinges on her getting paralytic. When she's drunk, she can hear the whispering voices in her head..
The Doctor soon learns that Bianca's airs and graces cover not just one malevolent power lurking in the shadows, but several. And a wriggling, writhing presence has designs on the clientele — just as Bianca herself has designs on the Doctor.
At last, after so many centuries, the weary Time Lord is dragged by the heels into that darkest of undiscovered countries... love...
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Iris Wildthyme - Katy Manning
- Bianca - Maria McErlane
- Mickey - Jane MacFarlane
- Henry - Paul Clayton
- Allis & Ballis - James Campbell
- Heinrich - Jason Loborik
- Sturmer - Mark Donovan
- Barman - Ian Brooker
- Mysterious patron - Sylvester McCoy
to be added
- Paul Magrs revealed on the Iris Wildthyme website that Bianca is the final incarnation of Iris, and that the club itself is the remains of Iris' TARDIS.
- Along with The Sirens of Time, Project: Lazarus, Zagreus, Thicker Than Water, The Four Doctors, The Light at the End, The Brink of Death and Collision Course, this is one of nine Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories in which both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy appear.
- The story's setting is loosely based on the stage musical Cabaret.
- This audio drama was recorded on 1 and 10 November 2002 at The Moat Studios.
- This audio and Master were released in the same month, the first time in Big Finish history that two main range releases were.
- Despite being the fifty-first title in Big Finish's Main Range, it was released before the fiftieth story, Zagreus.
- The Doctor refers to his friend Douglas, who once answered what was wrong with being drunk with "Ask a glass of water". This is a direct reference to Douglas Adams and his creation The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- The Seventh Doctor makes a cameo appearance in a Sixth Doctor story. (AUDIO: Thicker Than Water, The Brink of Death)
- The Doctor mentions that he once met Iris in his third incarnation, just after Jo left him. (TV: The Green Death, PROSE: The Scarlet Empress)
- The Doctor refers to the second time that he was put on trial by the Time Lords. (TV: The Trial of a Time Lord)
- An agent of the Celestial Intervention Agency is implied to be in the audience during this story. (AUDIO: A Blind Eye)
- Iris talks of when one of her previous incarnations was a singer in Las Vegas during the 1960s. (PROSE: Mad Dogs and Englishmen)
- The Doctor mentions that he used to be keen on fishing as a hobby. (TV: The Two Doctors)
- Bianca notes that the Doctor "walk[s] in eternity." (TV: Pyramids of Mars)
- Iris tells the Doctor that she is as serious as he, but "not necessarily the way [she does it]." (TV: The Time Warrior)
- Official The Wormery page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Wormery at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide