The Wolves of Winter was the sixteenth story of the Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor comic series, published in 2017. The story featured Bill Potts' first appearance in the ongoing Twelfth Doctor comic series, even though it was published only a few days after she left the Doctor in The Doctor Falls. It featured the return of two Martian species from Doctor Who - the Ice Warriors and the Flood.
to be added
Main story Edit
- Twelfth Doctor
- Bill Potts
- Ingigeror Ragnavald
- Ancient One
- The Doctor says Henry III kept a polar bear at the tower. The Doctor caused a stir when he let it out for a swim in the Thames.
- Odin's ravens are called Hugin and Munin.
- This story is a rare example of using the dating system of CE (Common Era) over AD (anno domini or "In the year of our Lord")
- Bill remarks how the Vikings do not have horns. This is an in-joke reference to criticism levelled at The Girl Who Died, which featured stereotypical (and historically inaccurate) horn-wearing Vikings. The Vikings seen in this story are depicted closer to how they appear in the popular TV series Vikings.
- Bill and the Doctor previously encountered the Ice Warriors in the TV episode, Empress of Mars, which was clearly the former's first encounter with them. Her recognition of them in the second issue places this story some point after that episode.
- The Doctor tells Bill that he once fought a werewolf with the Koh-i-Noor. (TV: Tooth and Claw)
- The Doctor laments "Vikings. Again!" He also finds himself mistaken for Odin again. (TV: The Girl Who Died)
- The Ice Warriors carry the Flood. (TV: The Waters of Mars)
- Bill recognises the Ice Warriors. She had described them as being like The Vikings. (TV: Empress of Mars)
- The Doctor tells Sskoll that he is a friend of Grand Marshal Skaldak. (TV: Cold War)
- The Doctor tells the Vikings that Ragnarok was "a long time ago" and that "they made [him] play the spoons." (TV: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy)
- Putting on a spacesuit with the Doctor again, Bill is pleased that she does not have to pay for oxygen. (TV: Oxygen)
- The Doctor recognises the names of the "Asmund, Grimvald, Torkal, Halfdan. Brave Viking warriors." as he comes into contact with a messenger of Fenric. (TV: The Curse of Fenric)
to be added