Publisher's summary Edit
With the secrets of time-travel restored to him after his long exile on Earth, the Doctor decides to test out the TARDIS with a trip into the past. Accompanying him are his assistant, Jo, and an old friend, scientist Liz Shaw. Soon after landing, the travellers realise they have landed at one of the most significant periods of Earth's history — and one of the most dangerous...
to be added
- Third Doctor
- Jo Grant
- Liz Shaw
- Grigori Rasputin
- Tsaritsa Alexandra
- Anya Vyrubova
- Arkady Morovich
- Christopher "Kit" Powell
- Academician Kuznetzov
- Prince Felix Yusupov
- Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Vladimir Purishkevich
- Viktor Vasiliyev
- Officer Vlasyuk
- Officer Krylov
- Jo has seen a film about Rasputin and is aware of the Boney M song about him.
- French is still the main international language in Russia in the 1910s.
Foods and beverages Edit
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's paternal grandfather, who was also named Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart, worked with the British ambassador to Russia, Bertie Stopford, in Military Intelligence before and during the First World War until the Russian Revolution of 1917. At that time his brother served as a captain in the Royal Artillery, and had two sons.
- The front cover of the novel features a photograph of the actual Rasputin.
- This story is set between The Three Doctors and Carnival of Monsters.
- The Big Finish audio story Primord offers another account to the first meeting between Liz Shaw and Jo Grant.
- Jo tells Liz that she failed General Science at "O" level. (TV: Terror of the Autons)
- Jo recalls being hypnotised by the Master (TV: Terror of the Autons) and the 22nd century Dalek invasion of Earth in an alternative timeline. (TV: Day of the Daleks)
- The First Doctor previously encountered Rasputin in Siberia in 1903 in the company of Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Susan Foreman. However, Rasputin's memory of that incident was erased. (AUDIO: The Wanderer)
- The Doctor mentions being a student of Wong Fei-Hung. (PROSE: The Eleventh Tiger)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Wages of Sin at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Wages of Sin