The Vanity Box was the following one-part story comprising part of the ninety-seventh release in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Paul Magrs and featured Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor and Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush.
A strange beauty parlour has opened its doors for business in a dowdy Salford terrace circa 1965. Monsieur Coiffure is the talk of the street with his fabulous make-overs. When the Doctor arrives, however, he knows at once that there's been some unnatural titivation going on.
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Melanie Bush - Bonnie Langford
- Nesta Trubshaw - Diana Flacks
- Winnie - Christine Moore
- Bessy Tiplington / Barmaid - Rachel Laurence
- Monsieur Coiffure / The Wishing Beast - Toby Longworth
- Mel refers to Ready Steady Go! and Carnaby Street.
- The Doctor orders a pint of blackcurrant squash with water rather than soda in The Sailor's End.
- While disguised as a "provincial dolly bird," the Doctor tells Monsieur Coiffure that "two Yanks helped me up the statue in Piccadilly Gardens" on VE Night on 8 May 1945.
- The Doctor buys a milk stout for Nesta in The Sailor's End.
- Bessy Tiplington was born in 1909.
- The Vanity Box is only one episode long. The other three episodes on the discs are of The Wishing Beast.
- This was the final appearance of Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush in a Big Finish audio drama until AUDIO: The Wrong Doctors in January 2013.
- This story is set between The Trial of a Time Lord and Time and the Rani.
- The Vanity Box takes places immediately after the events of AUDIO: The Wishing Beast, from the Doctor and Mel's perspective. However, those events have not taken place from the perspective of the Wishing Beast.
- The Doctor previously visited 1965 on three occasions during his first incarnation. (TV: The Massacre, The Daleks' Master Plan; PROSE: The Meeting) He would later do so again during his eighth (PROSE: The Space Age) and eleventh incarnations (AUDIO: Blackout).
- The Doctor previously disguised himself as a woman on two occasions during his second incarnation (TV: The Highlanders; AUDIO: The Glorious Revolution) and once during his third incarnation (TV: The Green Death).
- Official The Vanity Box page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Vanity Box at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide