For a year, while the Master ruled over Earth, Martha Jones travelled the world telling people stories about the Doctor. She told people of how the Doctor has saved them before, and how he will save them again.
This is that story. It tells of Martha's travels from her arrival on Earth as the Toclafane attacked and decimated the population through to her return to Britain to face the Master. It tells how she spread the word and told people about the Doctor. The story of how she survived that terrible year.
to be added
- Martha Jones
- UCFA Griffin
- The Master
- ADC Dexter
- Bob Rafferty
- 'Yank' James Handley
- Sean Jenks
- Gordon 'Toffy' Bremner
- The Doctor
- Tom Milligan
- Mathieu Vivier
In a flashback
- Lol Barker
- USFA Brunol
- Brigadier Erik Calvin
- Dmitri Korbov
- The Drast
- The plant that the Drast have control of is called Koban. A koban is a Japanese police box.
- The Underground is a resistance group.
- A statue of the Master is erected outside of Izmir, Turkey.
- UNIT, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sergeant John Benton are referenced.
- This is the first time the current BBC Books line has published a story based upon a televised episode, although it is not a novelisation. However the final and first moments of TV: The Sound of Drums and TV: Last of the Time Lords respectively are novelised.
- This story also features a new alien species called the Drast.
- Martha recalls the Master's final ascent to power and the Tenth Doctor's defeat and imprisonment on the Valiant. (TV: The Sound of Drums)
- The Master has the Toclafane burn the islands of Japan because of an alien species called the Drast settling there. Later Tish Jones mentions the fate of Japan. (TV: Last of the Time Lords)
- The monuments of the Master are being erected and his face is being carved into Mount Rushmore. (TV: Last of the Time Lords)
- The story was released as an audiobook on 2x CD read by Freema Agyeman, containing only the overall linking narrative. The four short stories included in the book were released separately as download-only purchases.