The Story of Martha was a novella collection, the twenty-eighth release in the BBC New Series Adventures series. It was written by all of Dan Abnett, David Roden, Steve Lockley & Paul Lewis, Robert Shearman and Simon Jowett and featured the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones.
It was the first of the full-length New Series Adventures volumes to not be a single-storyline novel. It was the last to feature Martha and was set during the Year That Never Was.
For a year, while the Master ruled over Earth, Martha Jones travelled the world telling people stories about the Doctor. She told people of how the Doctor has saved them before, and how he will save them again.
This is that story. It tells of Martha's travels from her arrival on Earth as the Toclafane attacked and decimated the population through to her return to Britain to face the Master. It tells how she spread the word and told people about the Doctor. The story of how she survived that terrible year.
But it's more than that. This is also a collection of the stories she tells - the stories of adventures she had with the Doctor that we haven't heard about before. The stories that inspired and saved the world . . .
|1||The Story of Martha||Dan Abnett|
|2||The Weeping||David Roden|
|3||Breathing Space||Steve Lockley and Paul Lewis|
|4||The Frozen Wastes||Robert Shearman|
- This is the first multiple-author release in the current BBC Books line. The short story format makes it the first release of its kind by BBC Books since it passed its Short Trips series on to Big Finish Productions. The format of a short-story collection focusing on a companion or other character would be revisited in 2015 with the publication of the similarly formatted The Legends of Ashildr and again in 2016 with The Legends of River Song.
- The short story The Story of Martha provides the main narrative with the remaining four short stories weaved into it as being told by Martha Jones to people she meets during the Year That Never Was. In particular, each of these four stories is bookended on both sides by parts of The Story of Martha.
- This is also the first time the current BBC Books line has published a story based upon a televised episode, although it is not a novelisation. However the final and first moments of TV: The Sound of Drums and TV: Last of the Time Lords respectively are novelised.
- This release marks the first time a former companion has returned to the covers of the New Series Adventures line after having been replaced by the a companion. In this case, Martha returns after having been replaced for several books by Donna Noble.
- This anthology was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
Editions published outside Britain
- Published in China by New Star Press in 2018 as a paperback edition.
- This novel was released as an abridged audiobook on 12 March 2009 by BBC Audio and read by Freema Agyeman. The release only featured the main The Story of Martha novella.
- This novel was released again as an audiobook in October 2009 complete and unabridged by Chivers Audiobooks and read again by Freema Agyemen. All the short stories were included even though Dan Abnett was still the only credited writer. The audiobook was only available through the AudioGO website.