The Squire's Crystal was the third novel published by Big Finish Productions as part of their Big Finish Bernice Summerfield series. This was Jacqueline Rayner's first full contribution to the Bernice Summerfield range; she had previously adapted all audio stories of series 1 except Beyond the Sun. This novel is the final novel to feature art by Carolyn Edwards; future novels' art would be done by Adrian Salmon whose work for the range began with The Stone's Lament.
Publisher's summary Edit
Legend tells of an evil sorceress who used the power of magical crystals to transfer her mind into the bodies of others. Her reign of terror was long and bloody, and her final defeat the cause of great rejoicing.
But that's just a legend. A story told to children. Isn't it? I mean, it's ridiculous. It couldn't have really happened... could it?
Finding the last resting place of the Crystal Sorceress is an archaeological dream on a par with discovering the Holy Grail. So it's hardly likely that someone will just offer the solution to Professor Bernice Summerfield on a plate.
But sometimes the unlikely actually happens. And one thing that's very, very unlikely is that Benny will suddenly find herself to be a member of the opposite gender...
to be added
- Bernice Summerfield
- Adrian Wall
- Avril Fenman
- Irving Braxiatel
- Dominic Troy
- Arsine de Vallen
- Poppaea Prince
- Calvin Jersix
- Broderick Naismith
- Clarissa Jones
- This story was released as an audiobook read by Lisa Bowerman.
- This was the last Bernice Summerfield novel to have cover art by Carolyn Edwards.
- Benny mentions swapping bodies and ending up in a small white cat. (PROSE: Warlock)
- Benny recalls her wedding day. (PROSE: Happy Endings) Her and Jason Kane's subsequent divorce (PROSE: Eternity Weeps) and Jason currently being lost in another dimension (PROSE: Twilight of the Gods) are also repeatedly referred to.
- Official The Squire's Crystal page at bigfinish.com
- Official The Squire's Crystal audiobook page at bigfinish.com
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Squire's Crystal at The Whoniverse