The Song of the Megaptera is the seventh Lost Story of Season 23 to be developed into an audio play. It stars Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant as the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown. It is based on a story pitched in the 1980s titled The Song of the Space Whale.
Deep space in the distant future, and Captain Greeg and his crew are hunting mile-long Space Whales on a vast harvesting ship. By pure accident, they also capture the TARDIS.
The Doctor and Peri must use all their wits to survive. But what is the creature running loose in the ship's bowels? And can the Doctor save Megaptera before its song is extinguished forever?
to be added
- The Doctor – Colin Baker
- Peri Brown – Nicola Bryant
- Captain Greeg - John Benfield
- Manus / Stennar - Neville Watchurst
- The Caller / Ship's Computer -John Banks
- Chief Engineer / Chanel - Susan Brown
- Stafel / 1st Security Guard - Toby Longworth
- Axel / 2nd Security Guard - Alex Lowe
- The Doctor claims that leprechauns exist and warns Peri never to play cards with one. He almost lost the TARDIS doing so.
- The Doctor says that he graduated from the "University of Gallifrey".
- Sontaran weapons are used.
- This story was written for television under the name of Song of the Space Whale for Season 22.
- It was also written for a Fourth Doctor story then was reworked as a Fifth Doctor story, starring Tegan Jovanka and to introduce Vislor Turlough, written by Pat Mills and John Wagner. It was replaced by Mawdryn Undead. The introduction of Turlough was added at a late stage and he was to have been one of the travellers within the space whale.A Brief History Of Time (Travel): Mawdryn Undead
- This audio drama was recorded on 23 and 24 September 2009.
- In her delirium, Peri accuses the Doctor of being an imposter. The Doctor reminds her that he has regenerated since they first met. (DW: Planet of Fire, The Caves of Androzani)
- Peri mentions Daleks. (DW: Revelation of the Daleks)
- The Song of Megaptera takes place immediately after BFA: Point of Entry
- The Song of Megaptera takes place before BFA: The Macros