The Slow Empire was the forty-seventh novel in the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures series. It was written by Dave Stone, released 2 July 2001 and featured the Eighth Doctor, Fitz Kreiner and Anji Kapoor.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
A thousand worlds, each believing they are the Centre, each under a malign control of which they themselves are completely unaware.
As the only beings able to travel between the worlds instantaneously, the Doctor and his friends must piece together the Imperial puzzle and decide what should be done. The soldiers of the Ambassadorial Corps are always, somehow, hard on their heels. Their own minds are busily fragmenting under metatemporal stresses. And their only allies are a man who might not be quite what he seems (and says so at great length) and a creature we shall merely call... the Collector.
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Axon Miribilis
- Jamon de la Rocas
- The Collector
References[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor finds in the TARDIS a yellow umbrella.
Popular culture[edit | edit source]
- Anji was forced to watch Quantum Leap. She has watched Independence Day and Star Wars.
- There is a mention of The X-Files and The Abyss.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- During her virtual reality experience in the Cyberdyne, Anji is saved by a stranger, described as a "dapper, sardonic-looking man dressed in a pristine dinner suit" with "jet-black hair" slicked with oil. This could be the first reference to Sabbath, whose ship Jonah was piloted by babewyns, matching the reference to his carnivorous "pets". Alternately, it could be seen to resemble the Man with the Rosette. Both characters would officially debut a few months later in The Adventuress of Henrietta Street.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Anji believes that when a person undergoes molecular transport (transmat, teleport, matter transmission), they're committing suicide. This idea known as teleportaphobia is explored in detail in PROSE: Down.
- The Fourth Doctor also once briefly encountered Collectors. (PROSE: Heart of TARDIS)
- The Doctor has told Fitz about the Vortisaurs. (AUDIO: Storm Warning)
- Anji is reminded several times of the events of PROSE: The Year of Intelligent Tigers.
- Fitz comments that he has the memories of someone anywhere between a year and several hundreds of years old. (PROSE: Interference - Book Two)
- Fitz recalls having spent some discontinuous time in the late sixties Earth. (PROSE: Revolution Man)
- Jamon de la Rocas has been to Eros. (PROSE: The Queen of Eros)