Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
1500BC — King Actaeus and his subjects live in mortal fear of the awesome gods who have come to visit their kingdom in ancient Greece. Except the Doctor, visiting with university student June, knows they're not gods at all. They're aliens. For the aliens, it's the perfect holiday — they get to tour the sights of a primitive planet and even take part in local customs. Like gladiatorial games, or hunting down and killing humans who won't be missed. With June's enthusiastic help, the Doctor soon meets the travel agents behind this deadly package holiday company — his old enemies the Slitheen. But can he bring the Slitheen excursion to an end without endangering more lives? And how are events in ancient Greece linked to a modern-day alien plot to destroy what's left of the Parthenon?
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
- The Aru are mentioned.
- The Doctor is captured by unknown "blobby grey aliens", one of whom he calls Bartholomew, and manages to stop them from destroying Athens with explosives.
Newspapers and media[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor claims to be working for the Mutter's Spiral Herald.
Time travel[edit | edit source]
- Mamps Slitheen identifies the Doctor as a time traveller when she smells the nymph glands from Gris on his suit.
- The Kodicek scale measures temporal disturbances.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Slitheen here are said to be silicon-based whereas in the television stories Aliens of London/World War Three they were calcium-based.
- This novel continues the series of New Series Adventure novels, set after the television story Journey's End, in which an alien from the TV series returns in print (the others include the Judoon, Daleks, Sontarans, Krillitanes and Autons). Unlike these aliens, however, the Slitheen have previously appeared in another standard novel in The Monsters Inside, although some other aliens listed above do appear in Quick Reads.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The Slitheen family debuted in TV: Aliens of London.
- The events of both TV: Aliens of London and TV: Boom Town are mentioned.
- The Navarinos are mentioned. They debuted in TV: Delta and the Bannermen.
- The Osirans are mentioned. They debuted in TV: Pyramids of Mars.
- Because June was not yet a traveller in the TARDIS, the language used by Bartholomew and the Doctor during their conversation was not translated for her. Travellers of the TARDIS were able to understand the majority of languages in the universe. (TV: The End of the World, The Fires of Pompeii et al)
Audio release[edit | edit source]
- The story was released as an audiobook download read by Debbie Chazen available from the AudioGo website.
[edit | edit source]
- Official The Slitheen Excursion page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Slitheen Excursion at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Slitheen Excursion