The Slave War was the third short story in the Short Trips anthology Short Trips: The Quality of Leadership. It was written by Una McCormack. It featured the Second Doctor, Ben Jackson, Polly Wright and Jamie McCrimmon.
Summary[edit | edit source]
While the Doctor befriends Crassus' slave Demetrius and tries to distract Crassus, the other three try to help Spartacus in his rebellion. Ben and Polly hope to make a difference, though Jamie is more realistic.
The Doctor convinces Crassus to build a wall, solely for the purpose of distracting him so that it will be Pompey's army that defeats the slaves. Ben and Polly fail in their attempt to save Spartacus and his slaves from the Romans. However, Demetrius and Spartacus' wife, Calpurnia, are able to escape.
The Doctor rescues his companions from the Romans and tells them he allowed Pompey to be the one to defeat the slaves because Crassus wasn't enlightened enough to lead the Roman Empire.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Second Doctor
- Ben Jackson
- Polly Wright
- Jamie McCrimmon
- Marcus Licinius Crassus
- Bigger man
- Smaller man
References[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor uses the alias "Gaius Iunius Faber."
- Crassus and Calpurnia mention several Roman gods, including Mars, Jupiter, Bacchus and Juno.
- The Doctor says he came from Rhegium.
- Mummius is one of Crassus' legion commanders.
- Polly compares Spartacus to the Kirk Douglas film version of him.
- Polly says she slept through Latin.
- Ben mentions the French Revolution.
Notes[edit | edit source]
to be added
Continuity[edit | edit source]
to be added