The Skin of the Sleek was the eighth story in the sixth series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Marc Platt and featured Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Lalla Ward as Romana II.
It was the first part of the series finale, being followed by The Thief Who Stole Time.
Publisher's summary Edit
On the planet Funderell you can walk on the ocean. The surface holds you when you move, but if you stand still, you sink. Lights shift in the fathoms and great shapes move beneath your feet - schools of giant electric eels known as Sleek.
When the Doctor and Romana lose the TARDIS to the deep, they need help. Which makes finding a fellow Time Lord on the planet very useful. The fact that Time Lord is Sartia, an old friend of Romana's, is even better!
But this is a planet of secrets. Be careful when you explore its depths. You may just drown.
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Romana - Lalla Ward
- Sartia - Joannah Tincey
- Eamonn Orensky - Alan Cox
- Klick Chervain/Rolf - Kieran Hodgson
- Blujaw Skaldson - Des McAleer
- Linnis Skaldson - Alex Wyndham
- Greygul - Jamie Newall
- Frithra - Jane Slavin
- Funderell has two moons, no soil, day and night, and is in the southeast galactic delta.
- Klick, Orensky, and Sartia uses a large skimmer to land on Funderell, and ride hover-bikes.
- Klick thinks in Mars days as a calendar.
- The Doctor recognises Sartia as a Time Lord, and Sartia recognises Romana despite her regeneration.
- Sartia's records on Funderell are in "current Gallifreyan," from the 41st era. The "Grade 3 planetoid" has been off-limits for 46,000 years, with trespassing punishable by memory-wipe or dispersal.
- Romana describes the village as a "grade 9 sociological enclave" and theorises that the planet must've been protected by transduction barriers at one point, but that they've degraded.
- She says there were many rumours why Romana left the Academy, including that she was on a secret mission for the CIA.
- The Doctor states he was President of the Prydonian Academy, but even his access codes from that position are unable to access records on Funderell.
- The glyphs on the Book of Futures are written in "ancient Gallifreyan."
- The Sleeks are electric eels. "Funderell's daughter" is a giant eel, known as the "Great Sleek."
to be added
- K9 Mark II is still recovering from Brighton. (TV: The Leisure Hive)
- The Doctor mentions having a gazetteer, which Romana was unaware of, in addition to other things that are useless. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- Sartia asks Romana why she left the Academy. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- She mentions the Doctor being Lord President. (TV: The Invasion of Time)
- Sartia likes Romana's "silky" hair and asks if she chose it herself. (TV: Destiny of the Daleks)