The Simpsons was a television programme.
Behind the scenes Edit
The show's first ever full episode, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, premiered in the United States on 17 December 1989, just over a week after the "classic" run of Doctor Who concluded with the third part of Survival.
In the United Kingdom, the BBC held the terrestrial broadcast rights to The Simpsons from 1996 to 2004, where it aired on BBC One and, primarily, on BBC Two. The rights transferred to Channel 4 from 2004 onward.
Over the show's long run, The Simpsons has made several references to Doctor Who and its related universe, and as such is one of the few American-produced series to include such references. Doctor Who has often been mentioned by the Comic Book Guy.
There have been several explicit references to Doctor Who within episodes of The Simpsons in the episodes;
- In 1995's Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, a caricature of the Fourth Doctor appears as a representative of television.
- In 1998's Mayored to the Mob, Tom Baker, who is in costume as the Fourth Doctor, gives his autograph to the children in Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con science-fiction convention.
- Bart the Fink, where Comic Book Guy unambiguously refers to a "Doctor Who (episode watching) marathon".
- In Springfield Up, Homer refers to a character voiced by Eric Idle as "Doctor Who".
- In Treehouse of Horror X, Comic Book Guy has the Fourth Doctor concealed in a plastic bag, along with many other characters. He introduces the Doctor as "Doctor Who".
- In Holidays of Future Passed, London is patrolled by bobby-wearing Daleks.
- In the season 24 episode Love is a Many Splintered Thing, Alfred Hitchcock pilots the TARDIS in a British movie the kicked out men were watching.
- In The Day the Earth Stood Cool, an outline of a Dalek can be seen in the bottom of T-Rex's drawer.
The Simpsons, along with Doctor Who and various other franchises, appear together in the 2015 video game LEGO Dimensions.
Cast connections Edit
A number of Doctor Who universe actors appeared in The Simpsons.
|Actor||The Simpsons role||Episodes||DWU role||Stories|
|Ian McKellen||Himself||The Regina Monologues (Episode 317)||Great Intelligence||The Snowmen (2012)|
|Neil Gaiman||Himself||The Book Job (Episode 492)||Writer||The Doctor's Wife (2011) & Nightmare in Silver (2013); PROSE: Nothing O'Clock (2013)|
|Snowball V||Treehouse of Horror XXVIII (Episode 622)|
|Richard Dawkins||Himself||Black-Eyed, Please (Episode 523)||Himself||The Stolen Earth (2008)|
|Michael Sheen||William Masters||Kamp Krustier (Episode 612)||House||The Doctor's Wife (2011)|
|Peter Serafinowicz||Google-Disney CEO||Krusty the Clown (Episode 647)||Voice of the Fisher King||Before the Flood (2015)|