The Shadow of the Scourge was the thirteenth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Paul Cornell and featured Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace and Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield.
Bowerman had already been portraying Bernice Summerfield in Big Finish's own brand of Bernice audio stories. The cover of this story features Lisa Bowerman's promotional image for Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield series (which began with Oh No It Isn't!), Sylvester McCoy in a photoshopped image based on his New Adventures costume (which can be seen on the cover of Original Sin) and Sophie Aldred in the costume that was created for Ace! The Inside Story of the End of an Era based on her appearances in Virgin New Adventure novels (post-Deceit).
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
The Seventh Doctor, Bernice and Ace find themselves dealing with a dead body that has come back to life, a mystical symbol that possesses its host, and a threat from another universe that is ready for every trick the Doctor's got up his sleeve.
This time, has the Doctor gone too far?
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Bernice Summerfield - Lisa Bowerman
- Annie Carpenter - Holly King
- Mary Hughes - Caroline Burns-Cook
- Brian Hughes - Lennox Greaves
- Michael Pembroke - Michael Piccarilli
- Gary Williams - Nigel Fairs
- Scourge Leader - Peter Trapani
References[edit | edit source]
Foods and beverages[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor muses to himself, "Why does tea made in a hotel room taste worse than tea made in any other situation?".
Objects[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
- The Scourge require surrender papers to invade Earth.
- The Scourge's voices inspire religious awe in humans, allowing them to command whomever they wish.
- Benny mentions two turtles, Squidgy and Speckley, which she kept when she had run away from Spacefleet Academy.
The Doctor[edit | edit source]
- While inside his mind, Bernice sees the Doctor's previous regenerations and what his eighth incarnation will be.
- The Doctor discovered the Scourge whilst dreaming on the astral plane.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The working title for this story was The Summoning of the Scourge.
- This story was featured in the preview section of Doctor Who Magazine issue 296 with art by Lee Sullivan.
- This is Big Finish's first Side Step, "into Virgin territory" — meaning it featured the iconography, continuity and TARDIS team of the Virgin New Adventures' novel rather than slotting into Big Finish's usual take on the Doctor Who universe.
- It is also the first time Lisa Bowerman has acted in a Doctor Who audio (as Bernice Summerfield). However she had previously acted alongside Sophie Aldred in AUDIO: Beyond the Sun.
- This story was originally released on both CD and cassette. It is now available as a download only.
- The Pinehill Crest Hotel suites are all named after people who have reputedly been the subjects or exponents of human sacrifice.
- This audio drama was recorded on 29 and 30 July 2000 at The Moat Studios.
- Alistair Lock's soundtrack to the story was released on CD on Music from the New Audio Adventures Volume 2, alongside the scores for two other Seventh Doctor stories, Last of the Titans and The Fires of Vulcan.
- The image of Ace comes from a photoshoot done for Doctor Who Magazine in the 1990s; this also served as a model for the Ace seen on the cover to First Frontier.
- This story is set between the novels All-Consuming Fire and First Frontier.
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Ace is pictured wearing her Spacefleet combat outfit, placing this after PROSE: Deceit.
- When the Doctor falls unconscious, Bernice says he would have told them that "where there is life, there is hope". (TV: Planet of the Spiders)
- Inside the Doctor's mind, there are mental constructs of concepts (TV: Nightmare in Silver) such as the mathematics of flight.
- Bernice mentions that Ace has been within the Doctor's mind. (PROSE: Timewyrm: Revelation)
- Bernice meets the Doctor's eighth incarnation in PROSE: The Dying Days.
[edit | edit source]
- Official The Shadow of the Scourge page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Shadow of the Scourge at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide