Era: Last thirteen-million years.
Technology: Military (blatant), limited time-awareness.
It's perhaps unwise to think of the Sontarans as a species, as such. A homunculus breed, hatched by the million and engineered for full-engagement warfare, the Sontaran military machine is regarded by many time-active cultures as an "occupational hazard": a force of nature rather than a race, compelled by duty and genetics to acquire new technologies for its endless war effort. It should be remembered, however, that with the backing of a higher power even the crudest of breeds can become something quite different.
Justine finds out how well she fits the glass slipper; a baptism of fire turns into the agony of diplomacy; Miss Lolita gives a lesson in the correct use of weaponry; General Kine discovers that it's easier to disarm a Sontaran than a Cousin; Eliza becomes an accomplice to vehicle theft (on a grand scale); and one Great House falls while another one rises.
to be added
- Cousin Justine - Suzanne Proctor
- Godfather Morlock - Ellis Pike
- Lolita - Caroline Burns-Cook
- Cousin Eliza / Godmother Quelch - Emma Kilbey
- Lord Ruthventracolixabaxil / General Kine - Nigel Fairs
- The Voice - Linda Bartram
to be added
- The story was recorded on 14 July 2001. (REF: Downtime – The Lost Years of Doctor Who)
- The letters "ISIN" were hidden in the skulls on the page for this story on the Faction Paradox website.
- Lolita mentions that there are hundreds of shadowless agents of Faction Paradox who don't mix with the ones who have shadows. (PROSE: Unnatural History)
- Eliza says that the lions in Trafalgar Square "gave [her] the shits." (PROSE: Dead Romance)
- Official The Shadow Play audio download page at bbvproductions.co.uk
- Official The Shadow Play CD page at bbvproductions.co.uk
- Script of The Shadow Play at factionparadox.co.uk
- The Shadow Play at the Faction Paradox wiki