- You may be looking for the unproduced TV story.
The Shadow People was the fifth Sarah Jane Adventures audiobook released. It was written by Scott Handcock, produced for BBC Audio and read by Elisabeth Sladen. It accompanied the CBBC broadcast of series 3.
Publisher's summary Edit
When both the school bus and Sarah's car break down in Snowdonia, the gang find themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Exploring by a lake, Rani sees a shadowy figure that looks exactly like her. Then Sarah hears a voice asking for help, and sees a mysterious figure outside her tent. Who is watching them, and why? How can Rani be in two places at once? And what secret does a nearby cave hold?
Sarah's Saturday off is interrupted when Luke and Clyde come to her door, wanting a ride to school, having missed the bus after an encounter with an alien disguised as a cat. That day the school was having a field trip to Wales, and Sarah knows that it was important to Luke. They use a cell phone tracking device to track Rani's cell phone.
After a long drive, they discover the bus broken down on the side of the road. Not long after, their car breaks down as well. Neither the car nor the bus will even begin to start.
The four of them, Sarah, Luke, Clyde and Rani, go looking around. They walk up to a pond, noting how beautiful it is. Rani, however, seems nervous, looking over her shoulder, as if she is looking for someone.
Rani, as it turns out, is nervous due to a strange thing that happened to her earlier that day. While she was by the pond, she began to hear voices calling out to her, but when she would look around no one would be there. Then, out of the corner of here eye she saw the reflection of someone crouching over her in the pond. Upon closer inspection, she found the figure was another her, crouching over her reflection with bloodshot eyes. The apparition soon passed, yet she still felt like she was being watched. Sarah agrees, secretly also feeling it.
Soon nightfall comes, and they are put into pairs to pitch tents to sleep in. Sarah, Luke and Clyde work together, and Rani helps her father.
Meanwhile Sarah wants to find out more about the figure that Rani had seen. She goes to a mountain and finds out that a Shedagen spaceship is inside the mountain. Rani Clyde and Luke are also there, however Luke is there twice. It turns out that the second Luke is one of the Shadow People who imitates Luke's appearance. The figure tells Sarah that it was working on the space ship of the Shedagen when the space ship crashed on Earth. There it took care of the Shedagen until they died. Then it stopped existing until Rani, Clyde, Luke, Haresh and Sarah arrived there, At first it tought that it was one of the students, but then it realised that it was one of the Shadow People and was created by the Shedagen. It is afraid, that it stops existing when Sarah and her friends leave, so it wants them to stay where it can serve them. However Sarah convinces it to let them go. The figure waves Sarah when she is leaving. Then it disappears.
- Luke and Clyde are late to school due to an encounter with an alien disguised as a kitten.
- The Shedagen are an alien race that create the Shadow People.
- A Shedagen spaceship crashes on the Snowdonia national park.
- Carla's advanced sat-nav makes an appearance again. (TV: The Mark of the Berserker)
- Sarah tries to fix her car with her sonic lipstick. She previously used it to disable and then fix the engine of her parents' car. (TV: The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith)
- Clyde refers to how his mum describes him as a "demon in the kitchen". (TV: The Mark of the Berserker)
- When telling her ghost story, Sarah recounts some of the events of AUDIO: Ghost Town.
- Sarah says she has met things that look like her before, mentioning clones and androids. (TV: The Android Invasion)
- Rani mentions the Doctor, having met him in TV: The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith.