The Settling was the eighty-second story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Simon Guerrier and featured Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace and Philip Olivier as Hex.
Publisher's summary Edit
Having brought the army belonging to the Parliament of England before this place, to reduce it to obedience, to the end effusion of blood may be prevented, I thought fit to summon you to deliver the same into my hands to their use.
If this be refused, you will have no cause to blame me.
I expect your answer and rest your servant.
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Hex - Philip Olivier
- Oliver Cromwell - Clive Mantle
- Doctor Goddard - Roger Parrott
- Kieran Fitzgerald/James Fitzgerald - Hugh Lee
- Mary Fitzgerald - Clare Cathcart
- Colonel Sinnott - Ian Brooker
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor has met Peter Chamberlen, the inventor of the obstetric forceps.
- Hex learned of Cromwell's atrocities in Ireland from his maternal grandmother Hilda Schofield.
- Ace claims to have learned everything that she knows about fencing from the captain of Cleopatra's guards.
- Ace was named "Dorothy" because her mother Audrey was a fan of The Wizard of Oz, as is the Doctor.
- The TARDIS library has lemon trees in it near the Doctor's collection of Ladybird books.
- Ace tells Hex that she has gleaned enough information about the TARDIS' controls to set coordinates for a specific location. She gives South Croydon in 1990 as an example.
- An illustrated preview by Martin Geraghty appeared in DWM 369.
- Uniquely for a non-special release (such as Zagreus and The Next Life), this audio's CD release was in a soft-pack CD case.
- This audio drama was recorded on 9 and 10 November 2005 at The Moat Studios.
- This story is set between Survival and the 1996 TV Movie.
- This story was originally released as a double CD set. It is now available as a download only.
- Ace refers to the "redecorating" of the TARDIS by the Doctor, Hex and herself. (TV: Doctor Who)
- The Doctor previously delivered a baby, specifically his future companion Raine Creevy, in the Soviet Union on 7 November 1967. (AUDIO: Thin Ice) He would later claim to have delivered the Mongol military leader Genghis Khan, whom he described as a "sweet baby." (PROSE: Tragedy Day)
- The Doctor recalls his encounter with Lord Nelson in September 1805. (PROSE: World Game)
- Ace mentions that the Doctor claims to have met Julius Caesar. The Fifth Doctor previously described him to his companion Nyssa as a "splendid chap." (PROSE: Empire of Death) Furthermore, the Sixth Doctor and his companion Evelyn Smythe met his parents and witnessed his birth in 100 BC. (AUDIO: 100 BC)
- Ace states that the Doctor has also claimed to have met William Tell. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- Ace asks Hex if the Doctor has given him the "you can't change history" speech yet. (TV: The Aztecs)
- Ace tells Hex that she and the Doctor used to have quarrels with each other "back in [her] teens". (TV: Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric et al)
- Official The Settling page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Settling at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide