The Rani Elite was the one hundred and ninety-fourth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Justin Richards and featured Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor and Nicola Bryant as Peri Brown.
Publisher's summary Edit
Not a trap. Or is it?
The Doctor's here to receive an honorary degree in Moral Philosophy. But there's something rotten at the heart of the Medical Facility. Someone is operating on the students. Someone without a conscience. Someone with access to a Sidelian Brain Scanner – a technology that hasn't been invented yet.
Part one audio Edit
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- The Rani - Siobhan Redmond
- Vice Chancellor - Andrew Bone
- Lizzo - Becky Wright
- Miklev - Mike Noble
- Reev - Charlie Morton
- The Rani was expecting to meet the Doctor's seventh incarnation, not the sixth. She describes the Seventh Doctor as "the little fellow with the hat and the umbrella".
- The Doctor mentions the Deca, including Drax, Mortimus and Vansell, and calls the Rani "Ushas".
- Peri is awarded an honourary degree in botany.
- The Rani discusses chaos theory.
- Part 1 of The Rani Elite was available as a free download before the release.
- Big Finish had been discussing the return of the Rani to audio and Kate O'Mara had agreed to return to the role before her death in 2014. In spite of her passing, she had given her blessing that Big Finish could continue, with a new actress in the role.
- This is the first appearance of the Rani in an audio story by Big Finish. Her overall first audio appearance was in the BBV Productions story The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind.
- During her photoshoot as the Rani, Siobhan Redmond was brandishing a potato peeler as a hand prop. The device was enhanced in Photoshop to create the final illustration used on the cover of this story. (VOR 70)
- Subscribers whose subscriptions included this story also received the audio short story A Home From Home.
- Many elements of this story were apparently inspired by the cancelled Rani story: Network.
- This was the last release to have the Hartnell-style motif for the logo on the cover.
- Peri remembers the Fifth Doctor dying for her (TV: The Caves of Androzani) and wonders if she would die for him. (TV: Mindwarp)
- The Sixth Doctor and Peri previously encountered the Rani in Killingworth in the 19th century (TV: The Mark of the Rani), on a duplicate Earth (PROSE: State of Change) and on Koturia (PROSE: Something Borrowed). However, the Rani had more recently encountered the Seventh Doctor. (TV: Time and the Rani)
- In his delirium, the Doctor quotes his fourth incarnation about destroying the Daleks, "touch these two strands together...", but doesn't complete the sentence (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)
- The Doctor says, "Leave the girl. Plainly, it's me you want." (TV: Time and the Rani)
- The Rani and the Doctor mention the Deca, including Drax, Mortimus and Vansell. The Rani is also called Ushas by the Doctor. (PROSE: Divided Loyalties)
- The Doctor notes that Time Lords are "immortal, barring accidents." (TV: The War Games)
- The Rani recalls her previous incarnation being partly responsible for the Doctor's sixth regeneration. (TV: Time and the Rani; AUDIO: The Brink of Death)
- After her arrest, the Rani was imprisoned for 97 years. (AUDIO: Planet of the Rani)