When the Rani visited the town of Killingworth, the exterior of her TARDIS resembled a large cabinet and had a motif on the door which looked like those on some of the interior walls of its console room. The Rani had tyrannosaurus rex embryos kept in glass vats in her console room, as she had some experiments ongoing with them. She also stored her equipment for extracting brain fluid, bottles of chemicals, drugs and metamorphosing mines stacked neatly on shelves in the console room. She used the last of these mines to set a trap for the Doctor.
The console of the Rani's TARDIS was black, circular and domed and set on a circular platform. In place of a central column, it had a rotating pair of metallic rings. The console also had interfacing controls in addition to buttons and switches. It used a holographic scanner which popped up from the main console. The walls of the console room looked like dark marble, with large, opaque roundels. The Sixth Doctor sabotaged her ship, making it impossible to control after it dematerialised, accelerating it beyond Earth. The resulting acceleration of her TARDIS caused a time spillage which made the dinosaur embryos grow and mature. The Rani and her marginal ally, the Master, found themselves in a TARDIS spinning out of control. The high speed pressed both Time Lords against the wall. (TV: The Mark of the Rani)
This TARDIS lost its primary console room when the Master separated it from the rest of the ship to escape. The Rani had to cannibalise other components to control her TARDIS at all. She recruited a matter-duplicating entity that the Doctor called Iam to make a TARDIS console for her. When attempting to duplicate the Doctor's own TARDIS console, Iam wound up creating a duplicate of a large portion of Earth's northern hemisphere based on the area where the Doctor had been when he took the scan. The Rani eventually salvaged the duplicate console and attached it to her ship, although Iam left her to stay with the people his actions had created. (PROSE: State of Change)
The Rani escaped the Sixth Doctor on Koturia by commanding her minions to attack. In the commotion, she climbed into her TARDIS, which had been disguised as a giant urn, and escaped with her research on Koturian Phasing. (PROSE: Something Borrowed)
The Rani next ran into the Doctor on the planet Lakertya, where her TARDIS took the form of a mirrored pyramid and contained different kinds of plastics with a laser cutter suspended in the ceiling. She was captured by her servants, the Tetraps, after the failure of her plan. The Tetraps took her to their home world to force her to help them solve their resource shortage problems. (TV: Time and the Rani, AUDIO: The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind)
- The Rani could control her TARDIS with a Stattenheim remote control that she wore on her belt when not in use.[source needed] Both the Doctor and the Master were amazed by the achievement.
- The Doctor used his TARDIS key to unlock the Rani's TARDIS.[source needed]
- The Rani used her TARDIS to produce mustard gas as part of a trap for the Doctor and Peri. (TV: The Mark of the Rani)
Behind the scenes Edit
- The production team were so impressed by the finished look of the Rani's console room built for The Mark of the Rani that the set was saved for potential future use, though it was not used again. (INFO: The Mark of the Rani)
- A different console room set, which more closely resembled the Doctor's, which was also in black, was used as the Rani's in Dimensions in Time.