The Promise (DWM 545) was a Doctor Who minisode written by Pete McTighe and released as part of Ace Returns!, a longer YouTube webcast which also included a trailer for the Blu-ray release of season 26 of Doctor Who. The webcast was notable for featuring the live-action return of Sophie Aldred to the part of Ace (which she had previously reprised in audio format with Big Finish), with Aldred considering the webcast as the true closure to Ace. (DWM 545)
Ace thinks about what happened thirty years ago. How she was just a kid who thought she knew it all when she met him and he showed her the universe full of adventures: monsters, demons, friends, enemies, fights, justice and so much more...
The Doctor and Ace... teammates.
When suddenly, he let her go to make the world a better place. She says she loves what she does for a living now. But that she some times still look for him from her office-window because he left her with a promise that he would return one day.
Ace grabs onto her trademark jacket and heads out the door of her office.
- Written by - Pete McTighe
- Director - Pete McTighe
- Production assistant - Jasmine Allodi
- Camera operator - Matt Patrick
- The building housing Ace's organisation A Charitable Earth appears.
- Ace is looking out through the window in her office towards the Thames.
- A picture of the Seventh Doctor and Ace is sitting on her desk table, along with a picture of her in Africa with a bunch of orphans, and some headphones.
- The sound of the TARDIS is heard.
- Ace has a coat rack on which hangs her signature jacket.
- The Doctor knocks with his question mark umbrella handle.
- The door to her office has roundel shaped windows.
- This is the first actual depiction of Ace's organisation, A Charitable Earth, which was mentioned by Sarah Jane Smith at the end of TV: Death of the Doctor in 2010, and which was later expanded upon by Ace herself in the 2018 audio story In Remembrance.
- Ace mentions knights from another dimension, (TV: Battlefield) ghosts from the past, (TV: Ghost Light) and horrors from the future. (TV: The Curse of Fenric)