The Power of River Song was the third and final story in the audio anthology Incursions, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Guy Adams and featured Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart and Ingrid Oliver as Petronella Osgood.
UNIT has been assigned to monitor the switch-on of a revolutionary new power system – they know from experience such things can be tricky.
Nearby, Osgood and Lieutenant Bishop investigate mysterious disappearances – and appearances of trans-temporal phenomena. Kate would like to ask the Director some questions, but she's proving strangely elusive...until there's a murder.
Meanwhile, Sam and Jacqui chase Vikings, while Osgood finds herself out of time. As deadly predators focus their attention on Earth, it seems activating the power of River Song could spell the end of everything...
to be added
- Kate Stewart - Jemma Redgrave
- Osgood - Ingrid Oliver
- River Song - Alex Kingston
- Captain Josh Carter - James Joyce
- Jacqui McGee - Tracy Wiles
- Lieutenant Sam Bishop - Warren Brown
- Mr Chant - Enzo Squillino Jnr
- Leif / Wampeerix - Leighton Pugh
- River has fond memories with Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, and remarks, "We'll always have Cromer."
- Kate has built a chronon frequency isolator.
- Jacqui assumes Leif is LARPing as a Viking, but quickly comes to realise his appearance is genuine, and not related to roleplaying at all.
- River claims to have directed the film Never Hunt the Moon, which was part of the New Exploitation cinema movement of the 2040s. She recorded over Nestene-controlled film canisters to make this movie.
- River and Osgood are both interested in nominative determinism, with regards to alien species names and their inclinations towards hostility.
- River's remark that she and the Brigadier will "always have Cromer" is a reference to the famous line in Casablanca: "We'll always have Paris." In the original context, this line carries the significance of a prior romance.
- Jacqui correctly guesses this isn't UNIT's first encounter with dinosaurs. (TV: Invasion of the Dinosaurs)